Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Need critique] Game-PBR Rifle, FG-42.

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
AidanV null
Hi, I've finished this one a little while back but haven't really been able to get proper critique on it from anyone. I'm pretty new to these forums and am really hoping to finaly find a place with active feedback! Seeing how many talented people are posting here I'd say this is the right place.

So this is my game-ready PBR rifle. It's my first time modeling a gun, second time doing a PBR prop and first time using substance painter instead of photoshop altough I used it in a very similar way. I haven't used any presets, smart materials or masks and such.

I think I did a good job of keeping it low-poly at 7251 polycount, maybe even went a bit too low in places?
Mainly looking for feedback on materials as I feel like there's some issues with it but I can't quite pinpoint it. Texture resolution is 1x4K everything included.

Lots more HQ images and 3D viewers on my ARTSTATION (is it ok for me to link to my artstation?)

Any replies are very much appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT:
As CrackRockSteady suggested I've added a reference image. Reference wasn't too great as most of the images found online are of reproductions that were often not very accurate. But I did find THIS youtube video of an auction that was super helpful. As well as this image which seemed to be an original to my untrained eye.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    It'll help people critique your work if you can post some reference images that you were working from when making this.

The first thing that stands out to me is that the grime and the wear seems very random and evenly distributed across all surfaces.  You mentioned not using any smart masks in Substance Painter.  I would recommend doing some experimenting with them, Smart Materials and Smart Masks are a great way to get a good base for some realistic/logically placed wear and dirt.  Find some good reference photos for old guns, doesn't even necessarily need to be this particular one, and study how the wear and grime build up on the various surfaces, how the surfaces reflect light, etc, and then try to mimic those things in Substance Painter.

Overall it looks like a really good start though, keep posting updates :)
  • AidanV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AidanV null
    It'll help people critique your work if you can post some reference images that you were working from when making this.

The first thing that stands out to me is that the grime and the wear seems very random and evenly distributed across all surfaces.  You mentioned not using any smart masks in Substance Painter.  I would recommend doing some experimenting with them, Smart Materials and Smart Masks are a great way to get a good base for some realistic/logically placed wear and dirt.  Find some good reference photos for old guns, doesn't even necessarily need to be this particular one, and study how the wear and grime build up on the various surfaces, how the surfaces reflect light, etc, and then try to mimic those things in Substance Painter.

Overall it looks like a really good start though, keep posting updates :)
    Thanks! I'll add some reference to my post but sadly I don't have any WIP's. As for your feedback: I see what you mean and will pay more attention to it from now on. I'll gather some good reference on wear for next time.