Home Career & Education

Applying for jobs: Cover letter vs one line intro?

IgnitionChemistry
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IgnitionChemistry polycounter lvl 5
Hi.
I've been puzzled when applying for jobs.

I've thought about two ways:

1.I have taken the time to write a cover letter with my aspirations, why I want to join a particular studio I am applying to and a little about my work. It's usually around 300 words, 4 paragraphs. I tailor it a bit to each studio. I research the recruiter or whoever is getting the email, and address them.

2.Another option is sending the email with a polite greeting, portfolio link, and not much else. That would serve as generic to all studios. It's a variant letter I used to get freelance jobs with.

I've been wondering what is the best approach. I've had kind comments from some studios and a shortlisting notice, with the first method, (longer, custom, cover letter)
I saw the advice to make a custom cover letter in the book 'How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul', and thought it made sense.
I also saw advice at the Gnomon site, in a article that featured how a Environment Artist got his job at Naughty Dog, and other studios, by being very short, direct to the point and polite.

I feel that if I show my personality in the email, with a tailored cover letter, I get the chance to stand out, as it happened already with some studios I freelanced for.
However I also feel that I may be dragging the readers eye' around and not everyone may like it. After all, with the internet and computers, we all have a short attention span.

One approach is very time consuming, the other is more quick, but  as long as it gets done, I don't mind. What do you guys think?

Replies

• RyanB
    Always write a cover letter.
  • JoshGreen

From your analysis, you've shown the situation quite clearly. Some studios will prefer a longer cover letter and some want a shorter one (in others they may not want one at all) as well as the applicant’s preference as well.

My opinion is alongside yours in that it should be short and concise and reflective of you and who you're applying for. In the job advert they may specifically request a cover letter and this means that you need to include one but in adverts where they don’t, a small personalised approach may make them more interested.

Perhaps a middle ground between your two options then?  As RyanB said, you may as well always include one, but perhaps reduce the amount of time for each but keep some quality in your approach.