Home Career & Education

Mentorships, classes and whatnot, where can I find more of these?

petey0707
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
petey0707 polycounter lvl 8
Hello, I'm an aspiring 3D Artist and Game Designer who has experience in 3ds Max, Photoshop, Substance Designer and Painter as well as UE4. I'm currently looking for a place or person where I can pay for classes or be provided a mentorship by experienced professional(s) who have had experience in the video game industry. Or even perhaps someone who is simply skilled with the art.

I'm somewhat new to the forum and wasn't really sure where to post this. No worries if it's moved.

Anyways, I saw a website for someone called Art of Josh Lynch and tried to get on board but no dice (https://gumroad.com/l/nolU). Does anyone know of anyone or place that does something similar? I think it'd be fantastic to work directly with a veteran within the industry who can help me with my craft. I do have plenty of goals and deadlines myself but working a 9 - 7 does make it a difficult to balance everything throughout the week. It can become very stressful not having the answers digging everywhere online and experimenting doesn't always lead to the desired results. Learning from an instructor or teacher would really lighten the load along the way to learning these various programs and completing various projects.

Feel free to ask my any questions concerning this post. I'd be happy to answer. Thank you for your time!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving this from General Discussion to Career & Education.
  • petey0707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    petey0707 polycounter lvl 8
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    For classes there are 3 places I have experience with, but there are definitely more out there.

GNOMON online courses - Big name, experienced teachers, but I wouldn't do another course there. You get just once a week a class, no recording which is especially problematic for people that are not from the US (every tried to pay attention with fever at 3 am?)

CGMA - Lots of courses (a lot of character art related though), you get a lecture video, a video with feedback for your homework and a Q&A session each week. You have for a limited time access to those after class. Teachers are also top notch.

Game Art Institue - Few courses at this point and overall smaller than the others, but you get life long access to lecture videos. I had a class with Adam Skutt and not only access to the videos of our class, but all previous classes and future ones he does to this topic. I am not 100% sure if this also applies to other classes, but I think so. Add to it a forum and a facebook group with life long access to encourage feedback among students and contact to teachers.

Hope this helps.
  • Stuart Campbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuart Campbell polycounter lvl 13
    What are your goals and which aspect of game art are you interested in?