Home Technical Talk

Are my uv layouts correct?

MujtabaYousuf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
helo guys.
I am nowadays doing unwrapping practices. So i unwrapped this really simple model today. The checker pattern seems to flow quite perfectly but i still have doubt that if something is wrong.
uvunwrap.PNG
uv unwrapping1.PNG

So in this model, I stiched some of the seams and used unfold mapping. After that, i just rotated it, scaled it and put them in the layout. If there is anything i did wrong please let me know. :smile:

And thank you :blush:

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's fine, although I would probably put the body seam on the bottom instead of the top 
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    It's fine, although I would probably put the body seam on the bottom instead of the top 
    hey sorry i didnt understand what u said. Can u explain it a bit pls?
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    ok i undertood it but does that make any difference?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If there's an option, it's best to put seams in the least noticeable or seen areas. Seam location may be more or less important depending on how you approach texturing and if you have to deal with things like lightmaps. 
  • Crimzan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan polycounter lvl 9
    Hello!

ZacD is right. You are best off when your seams are "hidden" somewhere. It looks like an object which is supposed to stand on the floor like it does in your screenshot. So when you make your seam at the bottom, where nobody would notice it, you don't have to take the time to blend both sides a little, to remove the annoying, very visible seam!

Also, I'd suggest you go ahead and align the shells as straight as possible. The two rectangles are rotated a few degrees, which might look okay on simpler textures, but if you have textures with more detail, or text or something like this, you'll either have difficulties aligning your text to each rotated shell. If you don't, your text will look slightly rotated of course, which could look very weird!
    Also, having the UV shells rotated correctly will make things a little less clunky in your UV Map - sometimes even give you a little more Space to work with!
    But this isn't a really big problem for a simple mesh like this. 

Unwrapping is extremely important, and there are so many things you can do wrong when unwrapping. This is a great video that also explains a few things for beginners, and shows you how to unwrap a mesh that's a little more complex! It's not too long, and definitely worth watching! You better have a pen and a sheet of paper ready! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbZ7ip-eCcI