Home Technical Talk

Traditional Pencil/Paper Art - Beginner Requesting Help

MaxBunny
null
Offline / Send Message
MaxBunny null
Hello! This is my first post here. I was recommended this site when I was asking around and I've browsed around before but didn't join back then. As a preliminary I typed "Beginner" in the search box and went through 100 pages of results from around 2014. It seems like most of the relevant threads ended up between General Discussion, technical talks, or career/education so I don't see a specific area for these topics.

I already have years of experience going through beginner materials from sites to videos to books and would like to avoid Betty Edwards, Loomis, ctrlpaint, workshop videos, most older youtube stuff, deviantart, etc. If you want me to explain a specific grievance feel free to ask, but these resources are not for me on my own.

So I'd like to ask about if you knew of any different/alternative resources for learning traditional art (pencil, paper) from the beginning? Particularly with a focus on pedagogue and not as much on the standard list of concepts. I'd rather learn from a great teacher than a great artist basically (the aforementioned are better artists than teachers in my opinion) and the dictionary style of covering everything briefly means they don't put enough time in any single topic to help everyone (me) understand it enough.

I'm mainly looking for free resources/methods since all of the premium stuff I've tried have burned as big of a hole in my trust as they did my wallet. Thanks. :)

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    MaxBunny said:
    I'm mainly looking for free resources/methods since all of the premium stuff I've tried have burned as big of a hole in my trust as they did my wallet. Thanks. :)
    May I ask what happen during the three years you either looked up or purchased premium art tutorials?

Losing money sucks but you can salvage at least some of it back by comparing any drawings/artwork you made to what the tutorials are telling you. That way, you can begin to pick up any techniques or correct errors you have made.

Three years is a lot of time. That's when you should start looking for industry level art instead of more beginner tutorials. This is hindsight of course but just my advice on how to manage time going forward.
  • MaxBunny
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxBunny null
    Maybe you can give an example of what has worked for you and why - then people can recommend along those lines?  
    If you mean learning style, I'm more for simple explanations and direct progression based off of it. I do poorly when it comes to filling in the blanks such as figuring out how someone's scribbling into a circle turned it into a sphere, or how basic shapes become things through unexplained magical swipes of the artist's hand (they never explain the process, only the outcome). I'd prefer more "how to draw what you see".

So I'd like things that try to teach people at the level they're expected to be at. More self discovery, less expectations/presumptions. That's how I learn best.
  • MaxBunny
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxBunny null
    JordanN said:
    May I ask what happen during the three years you either looked up or purchased premium art tutorials?

Losing money sucks but you can salvage at least some of it back by comparing any drawings/artwork you made to what the tutorials are telling you. That way, you can begin to pick up any techniques or correct errors you have made.

Three years is a lot of time. That's when you should start looking for industry level art instead of more beginner tutorials. This is hindsight of course but just my advice on how to manage time going forward.
    Looks like I missed your post when I was responding to teriyaki. That was several years of beginner tutorials, trying to follow along, failing, and failing to get help from people. You find that the art community is more focused on wanting you to see *their* works than being question-pincushions for strangers. Understandable, but leaves me with no solution.

I can explain specific issues in detail but the response tends to be along the lines of "these are well regarded resources, therefore either you're lying or you're stupid." When it comes to art I have no qualms admitting my complete idiocy. I'll overcome it one day, somehow, some way. Hopefully thanks to help from here perhaps. o:)
  • throttlekitty
    Check with your local arts community to see what sorts of classes are offered in your area. I don't know where you live, but even nearby larger cities may be an option for a weekend trip or two, but I'd be surprised if you can't find a life drawing session. But honestly, the best way to get better at drawing is by drawing, not spending time looking for the perfect teacher. I know a guy, he's a decent sculptor but is never happy with his work. Every time I see him, it's the same story; he's been attending all these classes, seminars and more classes but complains he's not getting any better. Except that the only work I ever see from him is things made inside those classes, he never mentioned any personal projects except for buying some new shiny set of tools.
  • MaxBunny
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxBunny null
    Check with your local arts community to see what sorts of classes are offered in your area. I don't know where you live, but even nearby larger cities may be an option for a weekend trip or two, but I'd be surprised if you can't find a life drawing session. But honestly, the best way to get better at drawing is by drawing, not spending time looking for the perfect teacher.
     I'm rural, and drawing basic lines and shapes forever hoping a new skill randomly appears is not really productive for me. The "just do it until you can do it" thing, well I had similar problems with fitness which led to multiple injuries since people wouldn't explain things. They just pushed me to activity because all they knew was "no pain no gain".

So yeah. I'm used to comments like yours from people who don't know the solution but want to give a motivational +1. For those fitness problems I found the perfect teacher, and there's more than 1 even so that's nice. I'm fine waiting for the one for art. If I knew how to do art I would be one of them (it's one of my goals), very likely the best one. ;)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Well, we can't really help you then. I suspect no one can unless it is one-on-one in-person instruction.

The best way to get good results from an online community like Polycount is to show your current artwork. Keep working on your art, keep posting your work, and keep seeking critique on it. Rinse and repeat.

It takes hours of dedicated hard work to get better. Years.

To get more critique, give critique to others, involve yourself in the community, and keep posting your new artwork.

This process has proven to work for a lot of people. Maybe it won't for you, but it's worth a try. Getting defensive or negative about it won't help.

More about how it works here on Polycount:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/184654/why-youre-not-getting-any-replies/p1
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    MaxBunny said:
    I already have years of experience going through beginner materials from sites to videos to books and would like to avoid Betty Edwards, Loomis, ctrlpaint, workshop videos, most older youtube stuff, deviantart, etc. If you want me to explain a specific grievance feel free to ask, but these resources are not for me on my own.
    Hearing that you put Loomis in the same bag as Deviantart, ctrlpaint and Betty Edwards is a bit of a red flag really. Have you read Loomis ? Not talking about copying random pages of heads found online, but actually reading what he has to say.

Finding a good art teacher is indeed hard (you might luck out and find a gem in a local class, it's random but that's the way things are, you'll have to try your luck) - but if you don't have access to any, well, the next best thing is simply to teach yourself. The (good) material is definitely out there.
  • MaxBunny
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxBunny null
    The best way to get good results from an online community like Polycount is to show your current artwork. Keep working on your art, keep posting your work, and keep seeking critique on it. Rinse and repeat.
    That's like saying the best way to learn Chinese is to blurt out words that sound Asian on an Asian forum and hope people correct you. With cooking there's recipes and ingredients, with languages there's alphabets and words, with art there's materials and...*magic*.

My art is along the lines of throwing grass on the frying pan hoping to make lettuce. I'm not in the loop of "make stuff, get critiqued, learn, make new stuff, repeat". I'm before the loop trying to figure out how to get into it, going from stick figures to something worth critiquing. The whole idea of using lines and marks to create an image that represents an object that people will be able to recognize on their own without asking you what it is, that is still mystical for me.
    pior said:
    Have you read Loomis ? Not talking about copying random pages of heads found online, but actually reading what he has to say. 

but if you don't have access to any, well, the next best thing is simply to teach yourself. The (good) material is definitely out there.
    Yes I have and I have my reasons for lumping him with them. If the audience is people with artistic ability then of course all of these materials are great, but preaching to the choir isn't a sign of quality pedagogy. I appreciate his efforts though since he actually had a good spirit/attitude towards it.

And I'd like to know about that good material you're thinking about if you feel like sharing your preferences. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • MaxBunny
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxBunny null
    Sounds like you're not willing to draw until you know how to draw?
    You misunderstood. It's that there's no progression from what I can do. I don't understand the materials, and no one wants to explain them.

Also already have been through the 2nd book. It's no different than free resources online. Definitely not buying the first book, or any books that people recommend without explaining why it's different than all of the ones I've been through.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • MaxBunny
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxBunny null
    Snip
    Not sure where you're getting any of that, but the only thing I said I'm unwilling to do is to spend money on resources that don't teach differently than the ones I've already been through. Everything else you're just misunderstanding and projecting.

Also when you reach the stage of "It's your mindset/attitude" it's just condescension, not criticism. It doesn't add anything to the discussion. The idea that "you didn't learn something because your attitude was not positive enough" is fallacious since it presumes things that can be disproved and doesn't regard how well a person is capable of absorbing the actual content. For example, if I put a rocket science formula in front of you and said "if you don't understand this it's only because you're being negative". Maybe it's because you don't have the fundamentals building up to the level of rocket science? If I presume it's because you're negative and assume that the book I learned it from is sufficient for you and that you're just being a bad student, I'm not helping you.

You should avoid falling into that pit since it ends up just creating negativity where there doesn't need to be any. I'm actually a very positive person and am open to any (valid) suggestions that will help me improve myself in art, life, and beyond. I put a lot of effort into the things I do and want to succeed it. I just require more than the average person to reach the same level for certain topics. :'(
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • NoRank
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    I don't think that art is something you can really learn in a simple way as it is with maths for example. Really, there are some guidelines that you can follow for making a posed character or drawing a face or something like that, but the whole stuff is all about practice and practice.

You can start off by copying some draws and making your brain getting used to that forms and the way they are made, but there is no magical formula that instantly makes you draw better. For real, people that are good at this is because they have been doing this for years almost every single day.
  • MaxBunny
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxBunny null
    The first thing this teacher will make you do is draw something simple for ages and ages so why not be your own pedo-whatever?
    That's where I've been at, but when I can't figure something out (which is often) there's no one or nowhere to get help. If you've been paying attention, you'll notice that no one here besides yourself actually asked about any specifics. Though I'm not sure how much of that is rhetorical at this point since you've already seemed to categorize me.

I have no problems with paying by the way. My problem is that I've lost trust in premium art teachers/mentors/books like with the "absolute beginner" book you linked me. It's definitely not for absolute beginners and I consider that type of thing a scam. But when I see that someone's knowledge and empathy are top notch I have and will support them. I have not found this in the art world yet and I have no intentions of gambling on promises.

As for my experience/level, not very far from lines and shapes for traditional art. I have more experience with digital tools and effects like Photoshop/GIMP. You mentioned drawing and shading cubes earlier. 3d shapes and shading are 2 of my trouble spots. Watching people do it has proven ineffective. Explaining the details of what it's supposed to be and explaining to someone how to translate that to their canvas are 2 different things, at least for me.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya -

I understand the frustrations you have gone through since it is undeniable that there is a lot of sub-par material out there, simply because many artists think they can teach but are actually awful at explaining things. So no disagreement here.

That said there is fantastic material is available - you probably simply skipped over it or didn't identify it, which is understandable since not all recommendations are valid. The Loomis page I linked to is definitely a valid resource. It covers the importance of visual balance and contrast in a composition, and I would argue that it is pretty much 100% of what drawing and painting is about - it applies to overall page composition, to the relative visual contrast of smaller elements, and all the way down to line quality. The hypothetical teacher you are looking for will definitely stress that too - the only downside of not having access to such a teacher is that it will take a while for you to grasp these concepts on your own. I personally don't believe in brute force practice but if you are on your own (without a teacher and without quality educational material to fall back to) then you'll have no choice but trying and failing for a while.

But also consider this : even with an excellent teacher it can take a while to actually grasp these things. I witnessed this first hand during an evening class I was taking a few years ago. The teacher was laying down concepts and exercises for the current session in a very clear and concise manner but some students simply didn't catch what was being explained. But the irony is that months later I then realized that even when I thought I understood/identified something, I actually only partially understood it or misunderstood it completely and things only started to click much later. What I am getting at is that there is definitely some brain rewiring going on here - sometimes the understanding is instantaneous and sometimes it isn't.

The best thing one can do is to acknowledge that things will probably suck for a while, even with very clear instructions.

Overall you might simply need a different approach to researching the topic. Your analogy to physical training and the mention of Deviantart and Ctrlpaint makes me believe that you skipped over what is in my opinion the most fascinating part of researching a subject : tracing back the lineage of an idea or concept and study its history. Read biographies (or even better, autobiographies) of master artists, look up and trace back their own influences, and so on. You will find treasures of knowledge that way.

(also : As this point the discussion is starting to be circular so now might be a good time for you to show the actual level you are currently at and explain in detail why specific resources weren't working for you. You might have relied on subpar material, but you might also have skipped over some key points. No one can help you if you don't show what you are starting from and specify what you want to achieve.)
  • MaxBunny
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxBunny null
    NoRank said:
    You can start off by copying some draws and making your brain getting used to that forms and the way they are made, but there is no magical formula that instantly makes you draw better. For real, people that are good at this is because they have been doing this for years almost every single day.
    Bah. Every time I'm replying to someone I don't get a notification that a reply was done in between it. I completely agree. I don't expect to be good anytime soon. Most people are surprised at how far I paint that picture. (pun intended)

pior said:
    The best thing one can do is to acknowledge that things will probably suck for a while, even with very clear instructions.
    I would like to test some very clear instructions to confirm this theory. :p 

I can understand the concept of perspective and weight when I read it from places like that Loomis page, but learning how to apply it is problematic. They give you the end point but not a path to reach it. This is why I differentiate between resources that teach the science of art vs ones that instruct you how to apply the principles. A lot is assumed about what you the reader should be able to do on your own by the time you've reached that chapter, so all I really want is something that gets me to that point of basic expectations.

As a specific example of a direct problem of mine, I remember one time I was at Disneyland and they were having everyone draw Pluto with an artist on the stage giving instructions. You can guess how that went. :'(  Parts of drawings that define cheeks, foreheads, and noses usually just become flat face paint/marks when I do them. If you have anything to help with that sort of thing then it would be a solid starting point. Adding cartoon level depth to a cartoon image is something I've never successfully figured out.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    The clear instructions were given as Loomis took the time to illustrate the weights-based approach to picture composition with 12 practical examples and also described the concept in full writing. You could put this page in practice by doing dozens of composition thumbnails based on this principle alone.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You've written a lot of text. Unless you're planning to become a writer (in which case, hay, more power to you), we need photographic or scanned evidence of some sort that you've attempted to create some art. If you don't draw a lot AND do a lot of thinking about what did and didn't work in your drawings, you aren't giving your brain a chance to learn the things you need to know.

Loomis is good, http://drawabox.com/ is good. There aren't many things that are better, free or paid, and you're not ready for them yet anyway. Make use of both. For Loomis start with "Fun with a Pencil" and for Drawabox start with lesson 1. Expect the process to take a lot of time. Every day, you should draw at least one drawing, then look at it and find something specific that isn't quite working right. The next day, draw the same thing, maybe from a different pose or camera angle, but try something new to address the issue you saw yesterday. Post it for critiques, look at references, and incorporate what you learned into the next drawing.

Aim to get to a point where you've built up some speed. If you can convey 50% of the ideas of a finished drawing in 5% of the time that means you can try something new something like 20 times in an hour instead of just once in an hour. This will be extremely helpful as you're figuring things out. There's no subsitute for a high volume of iterations on a few subjects, and what you learn from one subject can be applied to others. As Bruce Lee said, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times."
  • Eric Chadwick
    This thread is going in circles. If the OP is not willing to post their art, we will close the thread. What do you say @MaxBunny ?
  • MaxBunny
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxBunny null
    That looks interesting. I'll be trying that one out, thanks.

This thread is going in circles. If the OP is not willing to post their art, we will close the thread. What do you say @MaxBunny ?
    And you're the admin of this place? I'll take the advice I've gotten here and apply it to a community with friendlier management. Feel free to close this and whatever if that's really your urgency, but I'm not going to cater to your ultimatums/demands based on your patience level.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    It is not unreasonable to close the thread if there is no progress with help. There was simple advice given that you should post some examples of your work outlining what it is you would like to improve or need help with. Without that the members of this forum or any forum cannot give you the feedback and help you desire. This is not an issue with impatience or friendliness of the polycount staff. This is a matter of the members trying to help you and either stubbornness or outright refusal to accept that. Eric is simply trying to get the ball rolling in helping you, nothing more.
  • Eric Chadwick
    And closed. Post the art, that's all we ask. Good luck, MaxBunny. 

This discussion has been closed.