Home Technical Talk

[3ds max] what u should do after unwrapping a mesh?

MujtabaYousuf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
hi guys.
I know its kind of a nooob question but what do u do after unwrapping. there are many options for me like i can pack the uvs or render uv templates. I mean what is ur workflow after unwrapping ?
thanks and cheers ! :smiley:

Replies

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Hi there! This depends on what you need to do for your project. I'd suggest packing UVs first. Then you can go from there -- you may need to bake down a normal map from a highpoly, start texturing, etc.

To texture it, I'd look for resources along the lines of "texture painting". You may want to use a program like Quixel or Substance Painter to texture your model.
  • JoshGreen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hello! After unwrapping you'll typically render out a UV template and start texturing or baking. As Carabiner said though, that you may want to them start creating additional floating geometry or sculpting higher level detail to then bake into a normal map although you could have done that before the UV mapping.

Typically, when you're at a stage of unwrapping, you've got everything ready to start texturing / adding further detail to the model.

• EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, you might want to look at some tutorials if you are unsure on what you want.
    Render to Template is the one you would use if you want to create a custom made texture. Check the link to see an entire model creation series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH3CDB_3W4hNoKXXZWdmQS4THky8MPP4i