Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP -- Starcraft Fan Art -- Terran Chaingun Turret

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
PatoGrande polycounter lvl 11
I had a lot of fun sculpting and rendering out that Tiki Pool, so I wanted to take the energy I had in that environment and put it towards something hard-surface and maybe smaller scale this time around. So I looked at Starcraft, mainly the missile turrets, and tried to imagine a lighter version with a chaingun. Here's some reference I gathered and a render of where my highpoly's at right now.

Replies

• TOBSn08
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TOBSn08 polycounter lvl 7
    Liking this already :) If I look at your reference, the bases of those towers are a lot "chunkier" than what you have at the moment. Maybe use less of those feet and make them bigger. Some of the middle parts alse feel quite thin (Ring and hydraulics). Keep going, cant wait to see this finished :)
  • PatoGrande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I duped the turret onto a new layer so I could be more bold about changing everything. I thickened up certain pieces, emphasizing the changes in shape and silhouette better. Lots of FFDs and scaling.

The biggest change I wanted to do right was fixing the hydraulics. Instead of going for those spindly guys going straight up/down, I looked at motion simulators that have those angled pistons -- It's much more interesting, and I was able to justify the feet with this as well.

Thanks for the feedback Tobs! I thought Oasis came out really awesome.

• PatoGrande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: had some PC issues and hit reply twice but it's all good here :/
  • TOBSn08
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TOBSn08 polycounter lvl 7
    nice improvements. really like it a lot now :) cant wait to see this textured.
  • PatoGrande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started texturing in Substance Painter, but I ended up ditching it and going back to photoshop -- I built on the workflow I developed for the Tiki, but gave myself more leeway and painted more than on that piece.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/r5BLa

model