Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Question: Could it be harmful to apply for a job?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
AnthonyAnimation greentooth
Quick backstory- I've been doing freelance for the past two years and unfortunately it's not the type of work I would consider putting on my reel. I'm working on updating it, but it's slow going considering I have a few projects going on at the same time.

Here's the issue: There are quite a few studio job openings near me that I would love to apply to that have been posted recently. I'm afraid that if I apply with a sub-par reel, not only will they pass me up, but it will affect their judgment if I apply at a later date.

It will take at least a month before my reel is to a place I'm comfortable and if I wait too long the position may be filled. Is it better to be patient and accept that the time isn't right or take a chance with an out of date reel?

Replies

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hello AnthonyAnimation,

I'm in the same boat as you, I had been working as a freelancer for 2 years haha but almost every year or less I apply to a company that I want to enter. When I apply again I always show more/different work from before because it was clear that my past work didn't make the cut haha. While I keep working on my reel I accept works that help me to get into that company.

In some talks, I heard that you usually wait 6 months before applying again or just if you have something new/more to show, just not the same thing over again :)

Just my opinion, good luck on the job hunt!
  • Mannykins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mannykins polycounter lvl 7
    Unfortunately I think this question is kind of a "how long is a piece of string" kind of question. I wish there were a definitive answer, but talk to any two people and they'll have a different take on it.

Personally, I would say apply early and apply often. If you have an update, some people like to see what new work that you're doing and won't be put off by it as it shows growth. You can be not considered for a million arbitrary reasons, I don't think newer better work would be one of them though. 
  • KielFiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7
    There's no harm in applying.  If you're not contacted back, then your reel or situation didn't fit the company's current need.  The general rule of 'apply six months later' is good, but it assumes that you have a considerable amount of new work.  Do not apply again at a later date with the same reel.  It didn't work the first time, it won't work the second time.  Typically, I'd suggest re applying once you have at least a 50% new reel.  Nothing wrong with keeping your better/older work, but recent work in the desired field is what companies are looking for.  Also, depending on where your applying, your reel may not fit at all.  Applying to a commercial job with a games reel is unlikely to land well, since there's not a lot of overlap in the fields.  Same for applying from commercials to film, it's typically lacking the polish of film or the cg/live action integration.  Make sure you're building content to fit the studio.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I'd agree that applying couldn't hurt your chances.  Worst case, you'd have to reapply at a later date and the recruiter would get to see all the "new" content you created, putting your personal growth on display.

• AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I don't want to waste anyone's time by applying to a job I'm certain I won't get, but it's a good opportunity to show progress at a later date, like everyone says.
  • MamoruK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MamoruK polycounter lvl 9
    i'm in the same boat, i really don't like the work i'm doing for some people and don't want to show it so i work on my own stuff on the side that I do want to show.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Pretty much what Kiel said. 

If you apply now, and your work isn't good, they'll pass on you. Yes. But if you wait a month and apply then, chances are the job will be taken already anyways, so you're stuck waiting again regardless. Not every reel that gets someone hired is GOOD. Sometimes, people get hired because the person interviewing them sees potential. Potential is huge. "Well, the over all action isnt the greatest, but I can see they put in the effort to make sure the eyes and fingers and toes were all animated. They could be a good junior". 

Also, if you apply now, and they don't like your reel, keep at it, update your reel. In 6 months, if you put in the effort, you should be able to put together a whole new reel. Companies do remember people. Not always, but they do. It's better that they remember you because of how far you've come with your reels, rather than hey, this person has applied 14 times with the same reel... What have they been doing with their time?