Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Quick question: Starting out with realistic or stylized?

vertex
I used to do 2D drawing in the past, and one of the things I learned was that you needed good fundamental skills on realism before practicing stylized drawings (cartoons, anime etc.)

Does this apply to 3D modeling? I know that drawing isn't a requirement for making good 3D models.

I don't know how to explain it, but what I'm assuming is that you need only some fundamental skills on realism (mostly details on the mesh) to do stylized models because it's mostly being able to see proportions and details.

So what I want to ask is if I need to master realism in order to create stylized models/ how much do I need to do realistic models in order to create stylized ones.

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Drawing, though not "required" does make your 3D better and vice-versa. I would say all rules you know about 2D could be applied to 3D as well.   basically, dont look at 3D as a completely new medium.
  • goodmelody491
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goodmelody491 vertex
    lotet said:
    Drawing, though not "required" does make your 3D better and vice-versa. I would say all rules you know about 2D could be applied to 3D as well.   basically, dont look at 3D as a completely new medium.
    Yeah I was seeing 3D as another medium because the process was different.
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    I can't draw to save my life, so I usually make realistic scenes and props because I can make them to spec. If you're artistic, you could probably get into stylized pretty quick.