Home Technical Talk

How many Polys (Triangles) can the average 4GB/6GB RAM load in view.

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
skyboyfly vertex
So I'm just curious how many polys (Triangles) can the average 4gb ram computer load at one time, in a Multiplayer High intensive game, Now I'm NOT wanting the poly count for the entire scene/level as I'm planning on having a decent sized one, and the player won't be able to see all of the map at once, but rather the view distance including with the LODs.

And then I'd like to know the same info for a average 6GB ram to see if I should aim for that

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Triangles don't take up much memory at all, it's texture resolution and frame buffers that take up most of the memory.

Roughly estimating, you probably could have 100s of millions of tris on 4gb of vram (talking about unique data, not including instancing). Practically, quad overdraw would be a huge performance issue before you ran out of memory from just tricount. 

Most modern AAA games have up to ~12 million tris on screen at a time.
  • skyboyfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyboyfly vertex
    ZacD said:
    Triangles don't take up much memory at all, it's texture resolution and frame buffers that take up most of the memory.

Roughly estimating, you probably could have 100s of millions of tris on 4gb of vram (talking about unique data, not including instancing). Practically, quad overdraw would be a huge performance issue before you ran out of memory from just tricount. 

Most modern AAA games have up to ~12 million tris on screen at a time.
    Does this include terrain?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Most terrain is a tessellated grid controlled by a high resolution height map. Sometimes terrain is mostly procedural with a few basic textures, or a mix of both approaches.

Terrain is really a completely different beast.
  • skyboyfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyboyfly vertex
    ZacD said:
    Most terrain is a tessellated grid controlled by a high resolution height map. Sometimes terrain is mostly procedural with a few basic textures, or a mix of both approaches.

Terrain is really a completely different beast.
    What do you mean exactly? Also How could I do terrain with say tire tracks, water puddles, and detailed looking rocks (Like they have in ghost recon wild lands) in UE4 then?
  • skyboyfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyboyfly vertex
    Also, could you add me on skype/discord @ skyboyflie
    Or on discord @ skyboyfly#1494
    As I have other questions, and doing it this way isn't effective...
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    For this kind of details you can use decals, vertex painting, some meshes and many other stuff that your engine can offer you to work with.
  • skyboyfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyboyfly vertex
    NoRank said:
    For this kind of details you can use decals, vertex painting, some meshes and many other stuff that your engine can offer you to work with.
    How man materials should I have in a single level, like max I mean, since it's going to be a high intensity large scale multiplayer game
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    skyboyfly said:
    NoRank said:
    How man materials should I have in a single level, like max I mean, since it's going to be a high intensity large scale multiplayer game
    Really hard to tell because this will depend on a whole lot of other factors. And depends on how you're making your assets, if you're using tileable textures then it's different from using single unique materials for every asset. Unfortunately that's something I don't really know much about. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of texture artists here in polycount who can better answer your question =D.