Home Technical Talk

Several questions about modeling in 3ds max.

MujtabaYousuf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys.
I was getting good at modeling but i am still having some problems. i will post them one by one.
Please help me if u can.
1-) Whenever i attach two parts together. If they are turbosmoothed before attaching then they give me weird shapes. this is a pic below which shows what i want to say
Capture.PNG

what i did is first i put the turbosmooth modifier on both parts and then attached them. They are getting weird. :)

2-) When i attach them first and then put a turbosmooth modifier. Then they are working fine.
Capture1.PNG

Thanks! 

Replies

• Crimzan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan polycounter lvl 9
    Hello!

I think I had the problem once as well.
    I don't quite know what caused it, but it fixed it for me when I had the "Isoline Display" checkbox unchecked before I attach these objects.
    But this was ages ago, maybe it's a different problem today. But I think it won't hurt to try!
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan said:
    Hello!

I don't quite know what caused it, but it fixed it for me when I had the "Isoline Display" checkbox unchecked before I attach these objects.
    But this was ages ago, maybe it's a different problem today. But I think it won't hurt to try!
    i usually keep isoline display on. In these images i also kept them on. I will try what u said and will let u know what happens

• MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan said:
    Hello!

hey i tried what u said and it worked. But still i have a question. Should i attach two parts before putting a turbo smooth modifier or should i first attach then put a turbosmooth modifier?

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Attaching a model to another model collapses the modifiers of that model. Whatever modifiers are on the first model will apply to the attached model.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    hey i tried what u said and it worked. But still i have a question. Should i attach two parts before putting a turbo smooth modifier or should i first attach then put a turbosmooth modifier?
    If you attach an object with modifiers stacked, these will automatically count as the final geometry in the attachment process. So if you've twisted things around with an FFD, this twisted mesh will be attached to your original object, and so forth. Attaching a mesh with a TS modifier will attach a very heavy mesh, since the modifier is collapsed when you attach. Disable the modifier, and attach.
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Attaching a model to another model collapses the modifiers of that model. Whatever modifiers are on the first model will apply to the attached model.
    ok so that explains a bit but whenever i use TS without isoline display , it works, why is that??
    cptSwing said:
    If you attach an object with modifiers stacked, these will automatically count as the final geometry in the attachment process. So if you've twisted things around with an FFD, this twisted mesh will be attached to your original object, and so forth. Attaching a mesh with a TS modifier will attach a very heavy mesh, since the modifier is collapsed when you attach. Disable the modifier, and attach.
    i am sorry but what did u mean by disable the modifier? Delete it or turn off the end result?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    ok so that explains a bit but whenever i use TS without isoline display , it works, why is that??
    Attaching a model collapses it. If you have isoline display on the model you are attaching, it collapses without the edges between the subdivided geometry resulting in alot of  unsupported geometry.
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Attaching a model collapses it. If you have isoline display on the model you are attaching, it collapses without the edges between the subdivided geometry resulting in alot of  unsupported geometry.
    Oh thanks :smile: