The Wolfwalker - hand-painted low-poly stylized character

vertex
Offline / Send Message
shayxs vertex
Hello polycount! :smiley:

I start a new project of designing and creating a game-ready character.
With this project I am aiming to come up with my own concept for an original character and then make it into a game avatar. I wanted to create something unique and decided to picture myself as a game avatar that could represents me in "League of Legends" or "DotA 2" kind of fantasy game. 
The character should be stylized with hand-painted textures. For now, the triangles limit is set to 3k, but during the actual process of modeling I'll see if i can use less triangles or if I should rise the limit a little bit.
I made some design sketches. I am quite happy about design №4, so I decided to go with that one. (:

I want first to block out main shapes quickly in ZBrush and then retopologize and optimize it in 3ds Max. This kind of workflow is easier for me. Since I am okay with the chosen design, I'll start on sculpting very soon! 

SHAKABANGA!!

Replies

• shayxs
    Offline / Send Message
    shayxs vertex
    [BLOCKOUTS]

I made few blockouts for the character in ZBrush.
    The first one (really rough and quick):

Then i decided to tweak some shapes and work out a bit some details, add more stuff to the sculpt. So this is the second (and final) blockout for the character, which I used later to create a low poly model:

I am almost done with the low poly model, so soon I am gonna share the pic of it! :#  Also I decided not to sculpt the ravens but to model them straight away in 3ds max, because ravens are not that important, they are just like sidekick characters in this case :V 
    Some more screenshots of the progress are coming! :smiley:

SHAKABANGA!!
  • shayxs
    Offline / Send Message
    shayxs vertex
    [LOW POLY MODEL & FIRST TRY ON COLOR]

I finished the low poly model for my character! :smiley: Weeell, at least I hope i am finished with it! :sweat_smile: ahaha
    There are some screenshot showing the low poly model with default lighting, model's wireframe and first try on color palette.

I didn't really work on the raven yet. I want to first finish the main character, and then I can work on the sidekicks. :blush:
    Gonna keep on working!

SHAKABANGA!!
  • shayxs
    Offline / Send Message
    shayxs vertex
    [TEXTURE FINISHED?..]

Here is the latest update on the texture! :smiley: I can say it's finished, I think.. At least, I am very satisfied with it. So I am planning to move on and rig, skin, pose and animate the character and the sidekicks a bit.

SHAKABANGA!!
  • JunkieKong
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong polycounter lvl 3
    Hey, this is looking cool - not sure why it hasn't gotten more attention. Anyhoo, since its not too late to change texture I'll throw my 2 cents in: I think the clothing colours need to be reconsidered - combining a heavily saturated red, green and yellow is harsh on the eyes. I think it reminds me of christmas. I would suggest taking out the green entirely and desaturating the red clothes. As for the gold, I think it looks better darker with more contrast like you've done on the leg.
    If you look at characters from LoL/DotA you'll notice that that values are brightest at the head and get darker towards the feet, and your character could benefit from this treatment. You basically want to apply a gradient to the whole character on an overlay layer, and it will help things pop.
    Looking forward to seeing it rigged and animated!
  • shayxs
    Offline / Send Message
    shayxs vertex
    @JunkieKong thanks a lot for the feedback! :)
    haha yeah, it's never too late to change the texture! I agree with some things you mentioned, so I will try to play with the values now a bit to make the final changes in the texture. 
    I actually like the contrast on the shirt and the sleeves, I really want to keep it like this. But for the "skirt" parts, yeah, I'll play with the colors there. As for the gold, maybe the gold claws are too "perfect" clean, so I will add more contrast and more darker values in these parts.
    About the animation, I was thinking about making a simple idle cycle, so it would look better and not that static on the sketchfab! :smiley: So don't expect anything too epic in terms of animations :D ahah
  • Natland
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 6
    The arms are really short, hands could be a little bigger, the waist belt could move up a bit on her torso, the textures are way too black.

Good luck with everything, I would try to aim for more harmonious colours and shading. Like this one: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YGVKQFEQwv4/Vu9v7zIEDoI/AAAAAAAAAh0/BNfulI-P9Pgfqu0jtIHfjJfumhvfOZ-cA/s1600/kenny-mcbride-presentation-wod-armors002.jpg
    Just lift the shadows and you will get a better result right away :)

• shayxs
    Offline / Send Message
    shayxs vertex
    @Natland thank you for the feedback! (:
    I dont think I will change model since I am almost done with the texture already, I want to keep it like this.
    I am still tweaking the texture colors, so I will take your feedback into account! :smiley:
    Thank you, I will try to finish this character asap and post the final result here as well.

• shayxs
    Offline / Send Message
    shayxs vertex
    [TEXTURE UPDATE]

After receiving the feedback, I was tweaking the texture colors for the character. I changed the color for the belt from green to red, I like it more now. Also was adjusting the brightness and the contrast of the colors. I like these changes, the texture looks better already, I think. But probably it's not the final result, I will try to play with the values a bit more, but I am not planning to change the model, I am okay with it. 

The rig is already done actually, only need to finish the skinning! :smiley: I also animated the ravens a bit, but their animations are not perfect, I want to push it further and then I will post these update as well!

SHAKABANGA!!
  • shayxs
    Offline / Send Message
    shayxs vertex
    [SKETCHFAB UPLOAD]

Okay, I guess, I finished this character! :smiley: There is a Sketchfab upload with some posing and idle animation.
    I am pretty satisfied with the result, and, tbh, I dont want to change anything about it anymore.
    Thanks guys for feedback, I truly think it helped me a lot! Later I will make some beauty shots and upload this project to ArtStation and TheRookies.
    model

SHAKABANGA!!
  • shayxs
    Offline / Send Message
    shayxs vertex
    [ARTSTATION PROJECT]

There is a link to ArtStation project with some beauty shots and renders:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bYePr