Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Samurai (WIP)

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on polycount, just curious to hear some thoughts on a personal project I've been working on. I've been working on this piece on and off for a couple of weeks, and created it using Zbrush, 3ds Max and Substance Painter. 

I'm planning to redesign the top front part of the Kabuto (helmet), but otherwise my next step is to bring it into UE4 and see how it looks in realtime.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Replies

• Vozz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vozz triangle
    I clicked the WIP expecting a lot less, this is really cool dude! I really like the lighting and composition, it's almost hard to tell that it's not real. The things that give it away for me are the skin/eyes their shader seems a little like clay, were you using a subdermal/subfurce texture layer? Art wise the only thing I would personally change is the underarmor. While it may be more realistic to real samurai armor, a short google search shows that most concepts and designs for samurais details this area with small things. If I am not clear I mean the upper arms below the armor. Here's an example of the underarmor being broken up with a bit more detail:

Other than that, maybe more creases and folds on the underarmor? I think yours is very smooth, where every picture I have looked up has the underarmor very creased and wrinkly.
    I really love this work, looking forward to see how you make it even better!
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    This looks really good. I agree with @Vozz that the skin is a bit too waxy. Adding some breakup like moles, scars and blemishes will help. Also going in and pushing the reds in the skin with a sub dermis map will help with some of the flatness. 

Outside of that the gold is on point and probably my fav part of this piece. 

• SaGaDesign3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Vozz & @Asura, great feedback, I definitely need to work on those areas more! Much appreciated :)