Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - 3D environment scene composition critique (first post)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jordanbeeston polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on polycount, going to try post more often as advice from a friend on improving! :)

onto the question here (hope its in the right place by the way)

Im doing my room but set in a post war setting, this is what i have got so far on the basic block out of composition, before i start going into each asset high poly i was wondering if people could critique the composition of the scene, no. of assets, scale of objects etc (or basically anything that doesn't look right)

a couple things to note:

there will be bricks/ rubble in the scene that i was planning to use ncloth collisions in to scatter in the scene kind of like the test photo below -

the other thing to note is that the inside of the room wont be brick, it should look something like this -

but other than that thanks for taking the time to help :) 

Replies

• Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message

Here is the more updated version of what the wall will look like, of course ill need to make it low poly after i have finished it. could this effect be done quicker with substance node seamless textures? im not really sure how to go about that to be honest.
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the walls in high res, i have scaled the x and z axis as i thought the original room was slightly too big. my plan is to work on some procedural texturing for the floor next.

If anyone has any thoughts still on the composition, scale, assets etc then it would be much appreciated.

• Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    update and question on my workflow (posted in another thread but no response still so was hoping if i keep posting here someone will respond eventually)

The way my workflow goes at the moment (before learning about substance designer) is that i would start blocking objects in maya, i would then export to zbrush to do high poly work, then i would decimate slightly, import to 3d coat to retopologize, then back in to maya to create the UV's and bake the high poly to the low poly (usually normal and ambient) then i would go into photoshop using the textures to aid me in creating a albedo/ diffuse map, after that i would apply it to the low poly model and im done.

Where does substance designer fit in on that workflow?  like looking at the pictures above - the high poly wall, how would i create textures for that in substance designer? do i need to create low poly and uv's and bake textures first ... in which case, i will already have my textures. im so confused aha
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Hey man, I wouldnt bake the whole thing, usually this would be a mix of either tiling textures or modular baked parts. Hope that helps! I don't know substance but i suggest doing some 3d motive tutorials, so you can get a good understanding of all the things you need to do. 

• Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks so much for the reply, i appreciate it a lot! :) 

when you say not to bake the whole thing, do you mean for example that the floor (will be wooden panels) that i could skip the high poly model entirely and just add a procedural seamless texture to it? similar how the below image is a simple plane with a texture?

and regarding modular baked parts, should i have kept the walls as 4 x seperate pieces that would fit together rather than what i have done which is dynamesh them into one mesh?

Definately helps man, also thanks for the shout out to 3d motive ... ive used digital tutors and youtube up until now :) 

Thanks again! 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    What engine will you be building it in? You could always vertex paint the damage in to reveal the bricks. 
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    have been modelling in maya/ zbrush then will retop in 3d coat, was thinking of texturing in substance designer/ painter and i was leaning towards unreal engine as its already on my pc lol can i vertex paint in this? i still have to learn it to be fair so might be getting ahead of myself haha

Thanks for the advice, will look vertex paint tutorials up after work tonight :) 
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message

update on my floor texture, after much thought i decided to not sculpt and to purely generate the material in substance designer, this is what i got after many hours of painful learning, im happy with it now though :)

Any feedback on the wood material would also be appreciated as part of my learning process.
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update on project.

in maya with a simple directional light, shouldnt be the final quality as the textures are just diffuse at the moment so i could get a rough idea of what things would look like together etc

all low poly, so far around 9 k altogether :)

• Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    another update - again just a quick screen grab maya software render with limited maps. im still in the modelling stage on some of the assets but nearly done.

• Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message

Untextured chair updated to the scene, under 2.5 k total which is good because i did a lot of beveling!! this chair im aiming to have blown over with some scratch detail in substance painter
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message

Update again, not much visually but i have UV'd everything so far! woo! i think i have yet to add a few details like plug cords from the lamp to the plug socket etc etc and then i should be good to go for subtsance for the un textured models.

one thing, while it is not its final image ... how would i go about getting rid of that annoying black mark on the wall, perhaps its just the shadow for the current light but it isnt a seam in the uv? 
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message

quick update on rough texture assignment, all done with photos so far so still need to go into substance and make them look nicer :) 
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    another update, not going to upload these pieces on artstation, just going to wait until the whole room is finished now :) 

if anyone sees anything off with anything i post and can offer feedback i would appreciate it :) 

also a couple questions for anyone that see's and can answer..

firstly can you get done for logo copyrights eg the cooler master logo (not making money off it as for portfolio and is just a replica of the case i have below me) but it did feel weird adding it to the object.

finally, if anyone has any tips on how to maintain quality after substance painter because these to me look nice here but for some reason i import them to marmoset and it never looks as amazing and the light i cant get right, i do thinks like make sure roughness is inverted etc etc but still never looks as good as substance viewport haha 

• Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message

and another one...

struggling with keeping the overall look consistent as i remembered there was blood on the table, so i added it to the cabinet but i might have to go back into some of the other substances and add the odd splatter.

Substance Painter is definitely starting to feel a lot more intuitive and overcoming some basic hurdles making it a lot faster :)

After this project im gonna focus on designer and get used to that a bit more as i can see how powerful it can be in conjunction with painter if learnt correctly.

As always anyone who sees this and has and comments or advice please let me know :)

• Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message

Screenshots a bit dark, but the latest on the modelling front, just a couple things left to texture and was thinking about adding a backpack and a clothes pile but not sure if i should overcrowd it any more than it is ...plus im really happy to finish this technical project so i can get to something more creative :) 

Any C&C's will help :)