Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Painting specific objects

Hey there, not quite sure how to word a search for this, so I'll post instead. I have a model (a door) and on that door it has some metal fixtures and a relief carving of a tree on the door. I want to shade around the tree and the hardware on the door. Issue I am having is I can't figure out how to omit certain parts of a model from being painted on. I tried separating the mesh as three object groups from Blender, but the material map won't attach to all three groups, only the first one. I bring it in as a single object group but can't seem to find a way to mask out certain object parts. Thank in advance

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Different objects will be treated as separate objects requiring their own input maps when you load DDO. You'll see a Mesh Group dropdown when you load a multi-mesh file into DDO.

The easiest way to avoid having paint splashing over onto other parts of a model is to physically move the objects away from one another in the scene before exporting it. Keep them as one object if they're intended to be part of it, but just relocate them in world space a bit to give yourself some distance to work with them.
  • icecreamassassin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did assign the image map to all three object groups in DDO before rendering it to 3D0. If I use a DAE file with all objects merged together, DDO only sees it all as 1 mesh group. If I do the multi-object export of the mesh, DDO will see multiple objects but even if I apply the IM to EACH object group prior to rendering it out to 3D0, it will simply dump the IM off of all but 1 mesh group. Everything but that one group shows as black when I hold C to see the color mapping. I can pop back to re-import the mesh and reassign the textures and it never works, it always only shows that one of the object groups has IM and the rest don't, adding them back on and re-processing it does nothing. I've even copied the IM to 3 separate copies so that each object group would have it's own because I keep getting an error stating that a file being overwritten is already open by another program or process if I use the same IM file on each of the objects.

Moving the objects away isn't practical because I am using one object as a stencil for drawing around the other. I suppose I could actually do the shading I need to and then go to the Albedo paint layer and manually erase the paint that is on the other parts I don't want it on. Would that be a viable method?
  • icecreamassassin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind I figured it out. If you add a paint layer between the objects, it shades out the objects above and shows the painting behind it, but when you finalize it only shows up on the layers below.