Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Baby Dragon

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Tobi_dono polycounter lvl 4
Right now I try myself on Zbrush or Sculpting Itself.

I'm more a hardsurface moddeler so that im right now not really used to it and this is my first char made with sculpting hope you can
give me some critiques about it ^^.

I have to say, the Zsphere really helped me to fast create the base skeleton for fast start :)

well he looks a little bit different than the reference I used ^^'

Replies

• Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Needed so much time for the feets -.-
  • Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Love your concept/ref....right now your character isn't hitting that level of appeal and the forms are not as strong. I'd reset and do a bunch of head studies, re-do this head about 20 or 30 times.....the thought being to stay aligned on the thought of quick roughs, aim to not focus on details; get the foundation shapes right and interesting, find the right location and place for the eyes, and have more of an understanding of how the anatomy of the mouth, horns, nostrils, and ears all share a relationship in the overall design and silhouette of the character, it's a dragon sure, but the well designed dragons all have a basis from either birds/lizards/dinosaurs, study more of that anatomy and incorporate some of those rules into your design, it'll help you when your laying in your foundation strokes..... have an understanding of the characters form and why you've made the decisions you've made; and how each element aligns with one another to help tell the viewer a story.  
  • Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pixelpatronyeah you are right I know I still have to do a lot on its anatomy and face.
    and that's what I planned anyway but I still want to finish him within a week to at least have 1 organic mesh in my portfolio before I go job hunting ^^.
    I quite hat It to let things unfinished, still thank you and I will try to do it like you said :)

thats the ref. I used https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZXQw0

guess It looks more like a T-rex with horns from the pic's view ^^

• Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tobi_dono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my first time doing retopo on organic character

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    when doing retopo, try staying as lowpoly as possible for as long as you can. its always easier to ad loops later on hen trying to stitch together a lot of loops and trying to make sense out of it.