Home Unreal Engine

How can I make a smooth curved UV map to be use with tile texture for UE4?

fides5566
null
Hi, I try to unwrap UV map for a mesh like this one. And I want it to be usable with tile texture which the texture should be curved along the walkway.

Though, no matter how I try to unwrap it, it will always appear distorted like this.

The UV got straighten in UVlayout.

And this is the result in UE4.

I followed many tutorials on the internet but I manage to get it worked only in Maya with SubDiv mode. 

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Add a few (or one) divisions that goes along the shape.  The more you add, the better it will be. There is no other solution for this.
  • fides5566
    Thx for the reply!! Yeah, after I tested out for awhile it really does seem that way. I just wonder how something like road tool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31SIyEPOen4&t=272s can make a curved road with low poly and almost no distortion.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    There's always going to be some level of distortion in cases like this. You can always hide the most visible spots with decals, props, etc.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    So to answer your questin, its something to do with the nature of your texture - not yours but the shapes that you have. That road thing doesn not have recognizable details along the mesh edges or along the path shape and therefore you see the distortion much less, but it still occures. If you would have like a railing kind of a texture, it would be the same bad. Or anything that goes along the division axis.  Having a texture that has like neutrally places shapes , and not a pattern would probably work better. Until that, add way more geo and you wont see it. If you are really worried about polycount and whatnot, use LOD. but your main mesh could be higher poly without any rendering speed issues.