Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

My best works of 2017 so far

vertex
Offline / Send Message
GOLDEY vertex
Hello!
 My name is Goldey and I've just joined this site. I'm looking forward to know more about this community and to improve my art as much as possible.
 Here I'm showing a few my favorite pieces from this year so far! Hope you like them, critique is always appreciated. :)

"Memories"

Full illustration commission work

"Molten Core"

Full illustration commission work

"Tamed"

Quick personal drawing

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    soo, you do anything other then dragons?  

that last piece is pretty nice, really tells a story, and the colors are great.
  • GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    That's probably one of my biggest problems :/ I do draw some other things as well such as animals but I've never been comfortable with humans for example. I'd love to be able to draw human faces properly but it's just out of my comfy zone. I keep telling myself that I gotta learn it at some point but never really started practicing so I'm kinda stuck.

Glad you like the last piece tho, thanks for a comment!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    well you gotta start somewhere :) just start drawing humans and dont think about it so much, hey if it helps, draw dragon people as a stepping stone :p
  • GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    Mind if I actually share some works like that? Anthromorphic creatures are my jam also!

I am familiar with human anatomy. But when it comes to faces...

Just don't know what quality level I am on with them haha. Could be better and more expressive I think?
    I need to draw more..

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    first one is really good. how much time are there betwean these illustrations? cause your work vary in skill a lot.

also, using reference or not isnt something you should "brag" about. there is nothing that makes a work better because it didnt use reference. 
  • GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    It does?
    Those 3 are getting kind of old but I guess the first one took the most time and the snoop dogg one the least.
    First pic was made in 2015
    Second 2016
    Third 2016
    I would never brag with my art, I just mentioned those so you could tell if there's bigger differences when I used references or not, sorry
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I know did not intend to brag, but it kinda comes of that way "look how good I am even without using a reference, I dont need them" that kind of stuff.
    If its a study, its obvious you used reference so you dont need to label it, and if ts not, its just art, reference or not :)

but yeah, I wold say this and this piece is almost at professional level, while the rest of your work is far below that.
  • GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    Interesting :#
    Can you tell me what makes most of the work seem a lot lower level? How could I improve my art next?
    I really try my best everytime when I'm working on a drawing :) But sometimes it just doesn't come out as good as intended...
    Thank you so much for feedback so far! It means the world to me because I really need this
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Its very hard to pinpoint exact issues. but here are some things worth considering
     props and characters dont always come together, in this example the dragon and environment looks really different. the rendering style is not the same, and I get the feeling you made the dragon separately and then pasted it into a background image.

here is another example of this. it looks like 3 paintings, the moon and background is separated from the ship, and then the characters are again separated from all that. lighting and color is mostly the issue here.

as for the human portraits, they are first of made in a completely different style from the rest, but also sits in a weird spot between realism, cartoon-y and graphical.

most of these things will probably be fixed automatically my just doing more work, getting comfortable in your own style, and practice/studies to get better at lighting and color.
  • GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    Aahh so lighting and colors it is! I gotta agree with that.
    Man, this is so inspiring. And now that I know a little better what is up with my art works. :)

I've done some color experiencing before but I did it with a color picker so I could see what kind of colors I get from a photo reference.
    Tried to get them as close as possible to the original picture but sadly I can't find the photo anymore.

Here's my attempt! I guess this took me a few hours to paint, I kept things simple and didn't go too deep with the details.
    Now, of course the colors were boosted so the photo was better looking and the colors aren't completely natural.
    What do you think about this?

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks really good. I think using the color picker is fine. I would suggest you make another study like this, and then make a painting in the same lighting scenario as well.
  • GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    Yep! That sounds good.
    Hey, thanks a lot for your time. I feel like I've already learned a lot from you
  • GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    Hello everyone!
    I have finished a new painting, would love to hear your opinions and feedback on this. :)

• GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    I have made some more color studying and finished off this piece!

As lotet said above, I could work on lighting and coloring. References seen above and my studies below, what do you think?  :*
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    really nice work!
    how much "by hand" are they? no pun intended :P

what I mean is, did you color pick from the photos or used them as a base of your paintings or is it all free hand from scratch? 
  • GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    Thank you!
    They're made without any bases I was just looking at the refs and painted. Color picking used here and there but I thought about trying without that next in the future. ;)
  • GOLDEY
    Offline / Send Message
    GOLDEY vertex
    I'm a bit unsure when it comes to humans or humanoids in art, I've attempted to draw Durotan from WoW though.
    I've drawn anthromorphic animals for a longer time so that has helped me a lot when I get into humans.

I hope you like, critique is welcome!