Portfolio Critique for University application

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Curlscurly triangle
Hello everyone! 
I am a 3D artist, who is currently applying for university to study Digital games with a specialization in Game arts. The application process is a bit more complicated here, since we have to send a portfolio in, make a game concept for a given topic and then we get to the interview. In the past few months, I've been working on my portfolio and filled it with different works that I created in the past few months and years. I would really appreciate it, if someone could give me a feedback about it, since I am really determined to get accepted at this Uni ( even though the game concept is the most important thing, it is also vital to have a good portfolio that shows my skill range etc). Thanks in advance!

https://www.artstation.com/artist/curlscurly

Replies

• Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon Polycount Sponsor
    I don't know what school you are applying to, but seems solid enough to get IN to a school, I would say.
    You could perhaps get rid of the "various environment illustrations", as it looks a bit weak compared to the rest, imo. But I dont know if that kind of 2D is a requirement for the school?
    Cherry Blossom is really nice! Quite a level up from the rest :)
    Good luck!
  • Curlscurly
    Offline / Send Message
    Curlscurly triangle
    Hey! Thanks a lot for your feedback, I appreciate it a lot. I am applying for CGL in Germany. I agree with you, I was unsure about the illustrations too, but I saw many people include traditional artwork into their applications, so I wasn't sure if I should as well, but I think i will ditch them. 
    Thank you! I just finished it yesterday :smile:

• skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 3
    I agree with spoon should be plenty to get in , but you will have to work hard to get to an industry level to nail a job. you can do it  B)
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon Polycount Sponsor
    She can definitely do it. The cherry blossom is really good, and she hasn't even started school yet.

I'm visiting CGL in 2 months, actually, so could probably give more insight after that, but you probably shouldn't worry :)
  • Curlscurly
    Offline / Send Message
    Curlscurly triangle
    Thanks a lot for your encouragement Spoon! :)  Oh that's interesting, would be great if you could let me know! I think at that point I will be working on the application assignment. 

I agree with spoon should be plenty to get in , but you will have to work hard to get to an industry level to nail a job. you can do it  B)
    Thank you too! I know that I am not on an industry level yet, but I am also not applying for a job yet :smile:
  • Jaggar
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaggar polycounter lvl 2
    hey :) I check your artstation. It seems that you feel good in the hand-painted lowpoly workflow. So maybe you should to specialize in this, I have not seen a lot of artists who are good at. You have a solid foundation for this. I think the best thing you can do is practice direction which you will choose, and not necessarily in school ;) by the way this design looks best with ortografic perspective from above, on such screens I would be focused and would rather not show too much from the buildings or streets perspective. For school, such portfolio for sure is enough.