Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] [SP2] Reflex Sight

3x4l73d
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
3x4l73d polycounter lvl 7
Hello! After browsing this forums for years, I've finally decided to take it upon myself to sit down, and start making 3D art.

This is what I've come up with:

Tris: 2,543
Texture Size: 4096x4096 (Maybe overkill?)
Textures: Albedo/Opacity, Normal, Metallic/Smoothess

If you can, please leave some constructive criticism so I can improve my work.

Low Poly:

High Poly Model:

Low Poly with Textures:

UV Layout:

Textures:

Replies

• Ckafee
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckafee polycounter lvl 8
    I think you miss alot of detail in the high poly model and in the texture itself. The texture isnt accurate to the reall life reflex sight in any way... and i think a 4k texture for ingame should be a bit too much, but if this is renderin you are fine:) LOVEYOU! <3

• 3x4l73d
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckafee said:
    I think you miss alot of detail in the high poly model and in the texture itself. The texture isnt accurate to the reall life reflex sight in any way... and i think a 4k texture for ingame should be a bit too much, but if this is renderin you are fine:) LOVEYOU! <3

Hello Ckafee! Thanks for the reply and CC. How should I go about adding more detail to the High Poly model? I have very little experience with sculpting, but if that's how I should do it, then I'll try to improve upon it. I'll also go back and look at a some reference images to get some better texture detail and accuracy. And I thought 4k was too large, so I'll bake my maps at a lower resolution then. Thanks again!
  • Ckafee
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckafee polycounter lvl 8
    3x4l73d said:
    Ckafee said:

Hello Ckafee! Thanks for the reply and CC. How should I go about adding more detail to the High Poly model? I have very little experience with sculpting, but if that's how I should do it, then I'll try to improve upon it. I'll also go back and look at a some reference images to get some better texture detail and accuracy. And I thought 4k was too large, so I'll bake my maps at a lower resolution then. Thanks again!
    its oke you have little expierence, This is a hard surface so sculpting is not necesarry. But there are more bolts and stuff in there. :D post more soon so i can take a look again
  • Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Gotta agree with @Ckafee here. Also the biggest flaw right now is your texture, especially the edge wear. When you are texturing, think about where edges would get worn down, because right now all your edges have the same amount of wear, which looks very unrealistic. Just keep at it man, and you'll get better in no time!
  • Ckafee
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckafee polycounter lvl 8
    Stavaas said:
    Gotta agree with @Ckafee here. Also the biggest flaw right now is your texture, especially the edge wear. When you are texturing, think about where edges would get worn down, because right now all your edges have the same amount of wear, which looks very unrealistic. Just keep at it man, and you'll get better in no time!
    Amen:)
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    as others said, the texture is killing this right now. reference, reference, reference! find tons of reference images off google or whatever from tons of different angle and constantly look at those and compare. don't try and use your imagination or what you think it should look like, use reference until it looks exactly how it should. This is the biggest mistake that beginners make and pros hammer all the time.
  • 3x4l73d
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! I really appreciate it! When I get home from class I'll work on the things you all have recommend, like the texturing and adding those bolts I missed on the high poly. Thanks again for all the help! I'll be sure to post what I get done tonight. :)
  • 3x4l73d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I did some work. Turned the edge damage down a ton, added those bolts I missed, and added some "decals" I guess you could call them. Then after I did that, looking at the reference, I added a bumpy sort of texture to it, to give it a more realistic look.

Let me know what you think! Thanks guys!

Model:

Textures (2k):
  • Ckafee
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckafee polycounter lvl 8
    its much better the smoothing groups look still a bit weird but that could be me:) i think the edge damage is much better right now and you are improving alot by changing small bits! also the roughness looks a bit blond maube you could play with that more:)
  • 3x4l73d
    Offline / Send Message
    So, after some tweaking, I got a nice looking roughness map, and I fixed the smoothing group problems (I think). I had overlapping uvs with my UV unwrap that I missed, so that's why it looks a little different than before.

Thanks you guys for all the help! If there is anything else I should do to improve upon it, please let me know, as I want to make this perfect so I can put it on my portfolio.

Model:

Textures (2k):

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that looks a lot more realistic and professional, nice job. In my opinion you dont have to take it further but do you want to tell a story, has this been used a lot in a desert and got dusty, has it been scratched and broken then repaired, are there fingerprints on the sight making it a little mucky like someones done a bad job of cleaning it etc? I dont know much about guns though to be honest.
  • 3x4l73d
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged said:
    that looks a lot more realistic and professional, nice job. In my opinion you dont have to take it further but do you want to tell a story, has this been used a lot in a desert and got dusty, has it been scratched and broken then repaired, are there fingerprints on the sight making it a little mucky like someones done a bad job of cleaning it etc? I dont know much about guns though to be honest.
    Honestly, I never thought about telling a story. I was trying to make it look like it was realistic that I sort of left the other details behind. I like your ideas of the finger prints and desert sand on it. Maybe I'll play with the textures a bit more then and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the advise!
  • 3x4l73d
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I put some dust/sand in the occluded areas, added scratches, and smudged the lens up a bit.

Let me know what you think! :)
  • Ckafee
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckafee polycounter lvl 8
    the dust doesnt look realistic the lens and the scratches look good, i would recommond trying the dust again and retweak it
  • ComradeDispenser
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    try a darker diffuse on that diffuse, should really help it sell.

i know it's kinda late for that, but i'd revisit the lowpoly again, particularly the part where the lens is, at the moment i think it's kinda too lowpoly given this is probably gonna be a portfolio asset. you always want your lowpoly to look as close as the highpoly, so adding more geo in there definitely wouldn't hurt. that being said, chamfering some edges that are close to the camera when you aim wouldn't hurt either.

speaking about the textures, well, the best thing i can suggest is to try and look at what others have made and try to break them down into layers, then thinking what shapes did they use, what brushes, what process etc. just try to imagine how really good people make their textures, it really helps a lot.