Home Technical Talk

Kit Bash Library - best practices for creating your own Kit Bash Library

josh.0
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get better and faster at creating concept art for games, and I would really like to create my own Kit Bash Library.

So, I'm reaching out to ask - what are some best practices for creating the ideal kit bash asset?

And, here are some specific questions:

Should the asset have unwelded surfaces? 
-this would allow for easily selecting surfaces for UV unwrapping

Should the asset be created with a SubD workflow?
-this would allow for varying the polycount

Should the asset already be UV mapped?
-this would make it super easy to texture

What is the best software to Kit Bash in?

Can Kit Bashing be used to create Game Ready Assets?

Please feel free to link any useful info in creating Kit Bash assets.  

And, please feel free to point out if I'm asking the wrong question or saying anything that's not correct.

Ideally, I'd like to create a bit of a reference guide for people who want to create their own Kit Bash Library.

There are a lot of Sci-Fi Hard Surface assets out there.  It would be cool to create Gothic, Steampunk, 80's punk, etc type Kit Bash libraries as well.

Available Resources: 
Artists with Kit Bash Libraries: Vitaly Bulgarov, Dmitriy Rabochiy, and Nick Govacko. 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're creating concept art, it depends. There's a wide gamut in your subject matter. Are you making fully textured and lit 3d scenes with minimal overpaint? Or are you making blockout scenes with heavy overpaint? Some examples of your existing work would help.
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    www.instagram.com/count.joshula

Well, right now I'm just doing quick concepts in 3d Coat and then either rendering them in 3d Coat or Octane.   So, I'm planning to speed up my workflow by implementing kit bashing.  Ideally I'd like to be able to get my stuff into Unreal or Marmoset.   At the moment I'm more concern with speed than overall "game readiness".

But, I'm also trying to just learn about kit bashing and the workflow in general, not necessarily catered just to me.