Home Marmoset

Texture looks very bad in marmoset?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sunray polycounter lvl 7
Hey My texture is 4k in both painter and marmoset they have a similar sky. But my texture looks so bad in marmoset and I don't know why. I'm using the specular workflow.

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Did you try toggling sRGB settings on the albedo?
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Neox said:
    Did you try toggling sRGB settings on the albedo?
    Only makes it worse.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Moving from Tech Talk to the Marmoset section, so you'll get more eyeballs.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Moving from Tech Talk to the Marmoset section, so you'll get more eyeballs.
    Thanks man!
  • EarthQuake
    It looks like your lighting is quite a bit different in the Toolbag screenshot, I would try using the same or a similar lighting setup in both, and then you might be able to nail down the differences. I would also suggest disabling post effects that you have on in Painter.

Aside from changing the sRGB or mip mapping/filtering settings, there isn't anything that Toolbag does to the actual texture content other than load it. It doesn't compress textures or otherwise process them on load, so what you see in the viewport is what your texture looks like. It would be worth looking at the actual textures in a 2D image editing program to verify that they have been exported from Painter correctly.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @EarthQuake

Hey, 

Thanks for the reply I used the same lighting setup, and it fixed everything:) Nah jk why can't it ever be so easy to fix stuff haha. I have no post effects on in painter neither in marmoset. 

Checking the textures was the first thing I tried but they exported correctly (Too lazy to show them all but you get the idea left is in painter, right is the exported one)

And here is a new comparison with the same sky I also tried switching materials in marmoset.
  • EarthQuake
    1. Check to verify that all off the textures are loaded into the correct slots in Toolbag.
    2. Check the sRGB settings for all textures, generally it should be:
    Spec: sRGB on
    Diffuse: sRGB on
    Gloss: sRGB off
    Normals: sRGB off

It looks like you have the same map loaded into both spec and gloss, the sRGB setting applies on a per-texture setting, which means you can have sRGB set to on or off for both of those inputs, but not have a different setting for each. Save the gloss map out as a unique file in that case to turn sRGB off while leaving it on for the spec.

If your gloss map is a roughness map, where the glossiest areas are black and the roughest area white, make sure to hit the invert check box in the Microsurface tab.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    1. Check to verify that all off the textures are loaded into the correct slots in Toolbag.
    2. Check the sRGB settings for all textures, generally it should be:
    Spec: sRGB on
    Diffuse: sRGB on
    Gloss: sRGB off
    Normals: sRGB off

It looks like you have the same map loaded into both spec and gloss, the sRGB setting applies on a per-texture setting, which means you can have sRGB set to on or off for both of those inputs, but not have a different setting for each. Save the gloss map out as a unique file in that case to turn sRGB off while leaving it on for the spec.

If your gloss map is a roughness map, where the glossiest areas are black and the roughest area white, make sure to hit the invert check box in the Microsurface tab.
    Thanks man didn't know about the whole srgb thing. Whdn I turned it on it fixed everything even easier than lightning haha. I will keep an eye out for that from now on :)
  • Vozz
    Offline / Send Message
    Vozz triangle
    sRBG strikes again! I don't understand it at all, but if my texture looks bad that's the first thing I do in Marmoset is toggle the sRGB on EVERYTHING till it looks better and most of the time it fixes everything haha.
  • xS4E3Dx
    Offline / Send Message
    xS4E3Dx node
    Hi

Maybe my question is not in a right place I already post a thread and got no answer and It's really urgent, but my texture does not even Load after i import it:

In Zbrush its fine:

but in marmoset as you can see it's all white:

what should I do?

• EarthQuake
    xS4E3Dx said:
    Hi

Maybe my question is not in a right place I already post a thread and got no answer and It's really urgent, but my texture does not even Load after i import it:

In Zbrush its fine:

but in marmoset as you can see it's all white:

what should I do?

It looks like the material with the texture map loaded is not applied to the mesh. Drag that material onto the mesh.
  • xS4E3Dx
    Offline / Send Message
    xS4E3Dx node

It looks like the material with the texture map loaded is not applied to the mesh. Drag that material onto the mesh.
    sorry I'm new, Can you please tell me how?
    I have a texture file, The name is: "PerfectRock1 Final.BMP" that I exported from Zbrush
    What should I do?

thanks in advance.

• EarthQuake
    xS4E3Dx said:

sorry I'm new, Can you please tell me how?
    I have a texture file, The name is: "PerfectRock1 Final.BMP" that I exported from Zbrush
    What should I do?

thanks in advance.

The preview sphere in the material editor, on the top right, grab that and drag it onto your mesh.

We've got a number of tutorials for Toolbag on our site, I would suggest starting with the ones in the introductory category: https://marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/