Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Rebecca Matthews

BinxySage
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
BinxySage polycounter lvl 5

~~Critique and Discussion are encouraged~~

Hello all! I'm trying to get back to daily art and hopefully this will be a good start for that.
First digi-sketchbook here so we'll see how this goes
-R.L. Matthews | BinxySage

Replies

• BinxySage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creature feature sketches- Pencil
  • BinxySage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bird creature concept sketch: blue jay, pheasant, and anglerfish with a prehistoric theme

NOTES::
      * the wings need to be bigger- pheasants' tail feathers are partially wing tips 
      *use texture and color patterns to make theme 
  • BinxySage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Mother Dragon concepting ideas.

I've got a basic idea of what I want her face to look like and how to go about texturing her her scale textures would have different zones like a reptile's generally do.
                                *her chest and belly would be harder more armored scales
                                *her head should be softer with coarse viper-like scales over her crown and around her horns and smoother python like scales over her cheeks and mouth
                                *her back and spine (down the length of her tail as well) should be more like hardened plates like an alligator's
                                *under her wings and the creases of where her legs and tail join her body should be softer more delicate looking monitor-like soft scales

I'm kind of in love with this idea of her having some kind 'crown' of horns making her the queen of her domain.
    I do like the idea of her having this mane-like ruff of scales coming up under her jaw and down the back of her neck. Kind of continuing the royalty metaphor.

Her body is supposed to be a bit hardy. She's supposed to look like she has no qualms taking on the world.  I'm playing with the idea of using a mastiff for her body proportions rather than some kind of lizard or cat. I know she'll have paws rather than reptile-like talons so her hunting would be more of a run it down and pounce rather than swoop and grab like birds of prey do.

I want one to be able to look at her and go 'yup that's a dragon' without her seeming plain or unoriginal. I thought about taking her a bit further out of the box with exaggerated proportions or extra limbs but I'm not sure how it would impact her overall feel.

• BinxySage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    random sketching 3/23/18
  • BinxySage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More from the Blue-Angler-Pheasant which has now developed into a larger scale project

• BinxySage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BinxySage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message