Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Colorless or Colorfull.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Skrzynska polycounter lvl 3

Hello Peeps !

I am undecided about this painting, I like both versions, but they are different. And if one of them are better, i dont know which one. I need external artists to tell me what's wrong or not.  Not only with the colors but maybe there is mistakes that i didnt see. 

As an artist i think, that keep watching and working on your artwork make you see many mistakes but you dont even know where or if there is really some mistakes. It's maybe just because we always want to be better. :D

Tell me guys what do you think about it. Thanks. ;)    

Replies

• audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    hey Skrzynska,
    I think the colored one is better. Things are more readable, because of the additional contrast the color provides. In the Black and white Version values of the dog and background are quite similar and things start to merge together (Jacket and rock for example) Also marked some things that looked a bit wonky too me.
  • Skrzynska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 said:
    hey Skrzynska,
    I think the colored one is better. Things are more readable, because of the additional contrast the color provides. In the Black and white Version values of the dog and background are quite similar and things start to merge together (Jacket and rock for example) Also marked some things that looked a bit wonky too me.
    Awww, that's cute . Thank you for the time that you took for the pocture explanations. :) I will take care of this, and check out what can i do . This is frustrating to see that there is someting wrong but you cant find it. Thanks again ;) 
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    its a struggle eh, there is probably more that i cant see ;). About the posture just noticed that there is something off, after actually trying to sit like him. its actually possible but the arm would be more stretched out then and less angled as in your painting. Also kind of felt uncomfortable to hold a imaginary rifle this way.
    If you don't have anyone around that is willing to give constructive feedback on your paintings, just let go for a week or so and then come back to it with fresh eyes.

Also what helps is throwing away or deleting bad drawings.
    What that does is that you actually try to evaluate your drawings/paintings with an objective eye as you don't want to throw away things that are kind of good, not easy =P

edit: or try flag them in your mind as bad for the one or the other reason and put them in a drawer of shame (i have one). More often its only small things that are wrong like in your painting here.
    Obviously there is methods to minimize big failures beforehand like making preliminary sketches, thumbnails and looking at lots of references. But overthinking stuff also tends to kill the fun of just trying new things out and experementing/doodling. The field of graphics is so complex, you are bound to fail a lot. Embrace the fails =D
    And if your client does not notice its all good ;)
  • Skrzynska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are totally right. Thanks for the feedback, i really appreciate that, i took a while to take the distance, now i'll return on this painting after few weeks, haha. And i'm still strugeling with something, that i can't see. But that feeling will never let me down, i guess. ^^' Instead of frustrating myself with the same picture, i am creating another. It's a better way to improve. :D Thanks a lot ! I love that kind of feedbacks, a sincere feedbacks. <3