Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Weekly Substance Challenge (Challenge 3 & 4)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
3DKyle interpolator

Hello everyone, welcome to the Bi-Weekly Substance Challenge. 
Like the previous challenge that was ran by Tejay, this is going to be running everyone 2 weeks to give people a little longer to work on the materials.

How it works
  • Every 2 weeks a new reference will be shared to be recreated, you are also encouraged to find your own reference, as long as it still fits the topic for that bi-weekly substance, for example if we share a mud reference, you can gather you own mud reference. 
  • You can be creative with the reference and make it look either realistic, stylized or hand-painted, it is up to you.

Guidelines
  • Try and give constructive criticism, giving and receiving this should help each of us artist grow.
  • This is a Substance Challenge, so stick with that software.
  • You can post Wip's and finished materials here. 
  • Don't share work you've done in the pass, if you done a material before, try it again don't try pass old work off as something you did for this. 
  • Final material renders to be rendered in a real-time engine (Marmoset, UE4, Unity, Cryengine, Stingray, IRay is also accepted).
  • This is a learning experience for all, don't be afraid to ask questions.
  • Learn all that you can and do share what you also learn. 
  • Please be respectful to each and everyone. 

Discord
We have a channel in the Allegorithmic Discord group where you can share WIP's and final images as well as discuss the challenge, Click here to go to it.
If you have any other questions in relations to any of the Allegorithmic's software, use the appropriate channels for those questions.

Resources

Previous Challenges

Challenge 3 - Rock on! (Rock) || Time Limit 2nd Mar - 16th Mar.
Click the pictures for bigger resolutions.

Challenge 4 - Sewer Drain || Time Limit 17th Mar - 31st Mar.
Click pictures for bigger resolutions. 

Replies

• Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
     Kind of taking the information from the Y-Axis of a normal map. Is there a efficient way of doing it in a substance without baked information? it looks like that's what you have there haha. I'd like to try apply that to the substance I've got right now :)

@Brygelsmack beat me to it XD but have a gif anyway:

• acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
     Kind of taking the information from the Y-Axis of a normal map. Is there a efficient way of doing it in a substance without baked information? it looks like that's what you have there haha. I'd like to try apply that to the substance I've got right now :)

@Brygelsmack beat me to it XD but have a gif anyway:

What is this voodoo?  I've used substance two years or more and I've never seen this anywhere in a tutorial or tips or tricks.  Going off the two previous replies, I have a vague understanding of what this does.  Could you go into a little more detail as to what this set up could be used for @Kazperstan?
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    @Brygelsmack
    Dear sweet mother of baby jesus... Thank you! I've never known about this node, saved me a whole bunch of hair.

Thanks again! I'll implement this use in my next update :)
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
    @Daniel_Swing @Kid.in.the.Dark I'll try get it up at some point, I'm using some of my own nodes so I'll go in and substitute them at some point

The moss thing I was using the blue channel out the normal created from my height map then It wasn't giving me the best results so I threw in the dust node which helped
  • flaviat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaviat polycounter lvl 2
    Update rock pattern and add Details, Water level and Sand ! 

• Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @flaviat looking good i like cavity parts. the light brown colour is that sand? i think its lacking some definition a little. 
  • flaviat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaviat polycounter lvl 2
    Adelphia Yes, it's sand. I'll try to add some details on sand, and I will render it with a good resolution ! This one is with 2K maps
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Some great work per the normal guys. Finally back to doing some Substance Challenge stuff myself. 
    This is how far I got tonight. 

• Budd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Budd polycounter lvl 2
    oh wow everyone is really on their A game this time, great stuff !  :D

I've been afk for the past week so here is my late start, still playing with the forms trying to lock down what i'm going for just height and normal at the moment.

• plord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plord polycounter lvl 5
    I will stop here with these because I started to breaking the graph :D I've removed moss, it wasn't good maybe if I find more free time, will try to add it again with tips from You guys above :D 

@ThePowFin Thanks man for tips! Not sure If I've followed them all but still, for sure I learned something from them :)
    @3DKyle Nicely build, those cracks producing shapes looking great!
    @Kazperstan That is the thing I was looking for the moss! (btw your work is awesome!) @Adelphia this trick with B channel also nice! Where were You two when I was searching for the perfect mask for it? haha 
    @Adelphia Your work is amazing! Some tips on creating moss alone? My first try wasn't very good...

• Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @plord thanks for the nice comment :) if you want and anybody else if they want the graph for my moss that I used is up on Share,  that doesn't use any custom nodes
    Your rock is a good base rock to build off to make something pretty good :) 
  • N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth
    Feel a bit like cheating but doesn't have a lot time for this one so here my smoothed rock surface:

I will try some more rocky surface tomorrow night.
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    @Adelphia Absolutely love your rocks man, nice job. I did see another person doing the same kind of growth on top of his rocks a while back, I am assuming you took a lot from that person (Forgot who it was sorry bout that :( ) Not meant in a judging way at all, thats a super fast way to learn and would love to know who it was again hahah :D

I am gonna finish this one up, can spend a lot more time on this one with adding moss and all that, but I will most of the time do that in Unreal engine anyways, so stayed away from that. And I will be joining in on the Artstation Challenges starting tomorrow so I am clearing my schedule a bit for that!
    Thanks for the feedback guys and thank you @3DKyle for setting these challenges up!

Cheers guys! Maybe I'll see you in the next challenges, who knows!
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Luxap not sure who it is your taking about but my inspiration came from Joshua lynch over on his substance thread, he has a nice rock wall so I was kinda going for that kinda shape and then I wanted to add in more colour so thought why not some jungle type stuff and the inspiration for that was rogelio olguins use of colour :) 
    If you find the rocks your talking about drop the link in,  id be interested to see it :) 

loving your rocks man the look great :)
  • N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth

@Adelphia I'm really impressed not about the moss but about the leaf.

Do you place it procedurally on the vine ? if yes how ?

I'm really curious about it, and if it's possible to generate a splatter with a mask to define where they are placed.

• Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless said:

I'm really curious about it, and if it's possible to generate a splatter with a mask to define where they are placed.

Yea it's all procedural the leaves are put through a tile sampler and at the bottom of the sampler there is a mask input where you tell it where to place your input then turn up the mask threshold on the sampler
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Decided to do a second version of the rocks to get some more angular shapes in there.
  • N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth

Adelphia said:
    N4meless said:

Yea it's all procedural the leaves are put through a tile sampler and at the bottom of the sampler there is a mask input where you tell it where to place your input then turn up the mask threshold on the sampler

Thx i discovered the tile sampler not long ago didn't think about that ! that open a lot of thing to do for me XD
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Talked with my good colleague at work about some small scale detail and worked this out. Crits welcome!

• Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brygelsmack looking really nice man :) looks like it's been painted actually which is pretty cool
  • JoachimC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoachimC polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, so much great stuff here! Some really nice looking rocks and very neat renders as well!

I finally managed to get mine to a somewhat better looking stage. Not quite right yet but getting there, I think. :)

• Gruckel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gruckel polycounter lvl 8
    So many amazing rock-substances to gaze at, well done everyone!

Going to have to call this one done for now, this one was truly educational.

@Adelphia seems we had similar ideas, I love your execution, that looks amazing!

• Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoachimC said:
    Wow, so much great stuff here! Some really nice looking rocks and very neat renders as well!

I finally managed to get mine to a somewhat better looking stage. Not quite right yet but getting there, I think. :)

looking good, I think it looks a bit soft just now so maybe another roughness pass and perhaps make it a bit sharper looking.

Gruckel said:
    So many amazing rock-substances to gaze at, well done everyone!

Going to have to call this one done for now, this one was truly educational.

@Adelphia seems we had similar ideas, I love your execution, that looks amazing!

hahaha loks like we did :).
    thank you very much :)
    yours is looking good.
    I think your colour is very desaturated and washed out so your pops of colour are getting lost try adding some more contrast into it, hope you dont mind but i did a rough paint over mayeb tweak to something like this? just a suggestion :)

• N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth
    New one and i'm done with this challenge i tried to do something different :

• Budd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Budd polycounter lvl 2
    Little bit of progress :)

• Daniel_Swing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel_Swing ngon master
    I had less time than I thought, so I'll only be able to finish the sea side rocks. I tweaked the cracks since last. I also experimented with some moss and moss masks but I didn't really get anywhere with it, so I went back to the weak almost lichen like spots.

• K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, here is my take on the challenge:

I tried a bit harder to stick close to the reference, but didn't have a lot of time for the challenge. it was great fun to do though :)
  • ThePowFin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThePowFin polycounter lvl 5

I was happy to see this actually works pretty well without breaking too much. I can tone down large, mid or smaller breakage/shapes with just a few sliders and make tons of variation with a single graph. I could probably get big cliff shapes and smaller detail textures out of the same graph. Awesome.
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThePowFin said:

I was happy to see this actually works pretty well without breaking too much. I can tone down large, mid or smaller breakage/shapes with just a few sliders and make tons of variation with a single graph. I could probably get big cliff shapes and smaller detail textures out of the same graph. Awesome.
    Nice work, I like it :) 
  • sZXZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sZXZ polycounter lvl 2
  • sZXZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sZXZ polycounter lvl 2
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Hey guys, 

Some great work as normal. I will drop some feedback tomorrow. Wanted to post what I've done. 

• Budd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Budd polycounter lvl 2
    Good work all nice to see all the variety being presented.

calling this done, could be pushed further but time has run out.

• Zombiecrackers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zombiecrackers polycounter lvl 5
    Some super work here! Been so busy with final assignments for Uni I sadly haven't been able to work on this one hopefully can get some time free to work on the next! :smiley:
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    3DKyle said:
    Hey guys, 

Some great work as normal. I will drop some feedback tomorrow. Wanted to post what I've done. 

Any chance of seeing graph/ breakdowns? 
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    @Mr Significant I'll be showing off the graph at some point or maybe doing a breakdown but most of it is just changed parameters from my twitch stream.  https://www.twitch.tv/3dkyle/videos/all Take in mind that I never did stream the end of how I did this, my internet has been slow so I'm not going to be streaming as much till that is sorted. 
  • kellyk7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kellyk7 polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to post what I've done for the challenge :smile:

• 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Last day to get your submissions in, then the next one will be starting tomorrow. 

Tons of great work, glad to see so many people participating.

@kellyk7 You got some nice forms going on there. Glad to see your got that layering effect going on. 

@Budd I really like these shapes and the color.

@sZXZ You got tons of interesting variations. Some of them look more like crystals than rock walls but still an interesting result. On the flat parts would be cool to see a little bit of dirt laying on them. Well done. 

@ThePowFin Good to see that you got some exposed parameters. Really nice shapes, would be cool to see a little more color variation in the color map.

@KV Great stuff as always dude. I feel your color map is a little washed out, not sure what that is. Maybe could do with just some more color variation. Sharpen things up a little bit.

@Daniel_Swing I really like this water one. It's very nice. I think it would have been cool if you had the wetness just going above where the water line is to show that the water has been moving. 
    I like the rock formations and the crunchy feel of them. 

@N4meless Good to see something little different. Looking real nice, feel you could have gone a little more overboard with your depth and given it some color variation. 

@Gruckel Really like the design of this one. Some of the formations feel a little round though, you might want to chip those edges a bit more. Make the vines and berrys a little bigger to, it's interesting how you got them and would be better to see them more. Try messing about with the color on the albido as it's feeling rather washed out. 

@JoachimC Looking good. I feel your white highlights could do with a little break up from a grunge map as some of it is really thick. 

@BrygelsmackThis is really nice, looks almost real. I like how you got some yellow on the top of the rock parts. 

• JoachimC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback @3DKyle, completely agreed and fixed.

Really cool stuff everyone! Love seeing so many different takes on it, especially when they're done so well! :)

Here's my final one, I ended up at a place where I'm sort of happy with it but could easily spend several more hours on it tweaking and adding to it. I'll take my ideas and stuff I learned with me to the next challenges. This one was definitely a challenge indeed.

And click here for a little turntable gif. 
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    @3DKyle Thanks dude. It's been a fun challenge. Yours is looking sharp too (no pun intended) :yum:

@ThePowFin I like the colors and the dust in the crevices. Cool stuff!

Here's the final thing. Did some minor tweaks to shapes and color since last time. 

• 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Challenge 4 is now available! Challenge 4 - Sewer Drain

Check the main thread post for information! Good luck and look forward to seeing everyone's Drain Substance. 
  • alexholmesl93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexholmesl93 polycounter lvl 7
    damn, some of these rock materials are absolutely stunning! Been pretty distracted by other work recently but hopefully goanna give challenge 4 a go! I made this ornate style sewer drain a few weeks a go, but it needs more work, goanna pick some new reference and start again from scratch for the challenge.

• JoachimC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @alexholmesl93 Cool stuff :) very nice ornate pattern to look at. All I can say is I see some polygonal lines on the edges of your circles. Did you achieve the shapes with a Polygon instead of a Shape node?

I found myself a cool ref pic online that sort of got me started. I might change my mind later on about the pattern but so far this has been fun to experiment with. Next up will be height variation and wearing the metal. 

Ref 

WIP

• alexholmesl93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JoachimC ah yeah, those low poly looking edges are from a bad execution of the Splatter Circular node. I should fix that, thanks for the crit!

Nice reference, pattern is looking great so far!

• Merlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merlynn polycounter lvl 8
    That's a really fun topic! I will join in again this time. Here is WIP of the pattern I'm currently working on :)
  • Daniel_Swing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel_Swing ngon master
    I haven't decided which of these two lid references I want to go for:

While I would like to do the right one, I'm a bit hesitant since the portrait will probably be a real pain, unless I create an alpha outside of substance (which isn't the point of the challenge). Both contain text, which means that I probably want to upgrade to SD6...
    I took some time to get started on the surrounding cobblestone, though.

Feel free to give feedback on the cobblestone as well!
  • ansh0488
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ansh0488 polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work everyone!!
    Here's a WIP screenshot of my entry.

• Hirudo89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hirudo89 triangle
    Hey guys! This will be my first challenge, i hope to to learn one or two things!
    Here is what i got so far, hight is done, need to work more on color to finish it. Hope you like it and maybe give some feedback :)

• Daniel_Swing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel_Swing ngon master
    Here is my progress for today!

• alexholmesl93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hirudo89 wow looking super cool, mind me asking how you got the text to bend around the edge? 

Here's my first wip