Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Dungeon

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
Time to get cracking on a new Environment. After the last scene I did I know where my short comings are. 

The camera angle will be a bit different to try and replicate. Also I need to figure out how to do splinters on wood. I am thinking it would just be alphad planes?

Some of the textures seem to be open for interpretation and not exactly sure how that room works yet. 

Replies

• PJPayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PJPayne polycounter lvl 7
    With the "Splinters in the wood" if you mean the broken beams then yeah I would go for alphas, it seems the best route (especially when talking poly count). Which textures are you talking about specifically with "Up to interpretation"? 

And as far as continuity between the painting and your layout, I would say to test with a higher FOV, I know you mentioned the view was to be a little different but in the painting it really pushes the BG back and it feels nice. Plus you get to see how high the ceilings are.
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PJPayne
    yeah the broken beams, I think it should be simple enough.

The textures I am talking about are the roof, not sure if it is ceramic or painted. The walls could be sand stone or concreate, they also have faint lines that kind of look like bricks when zoomed in so maybe it could have a layer wearing away over the bricks.  Not 100% what the etchings in the pillar are but i will do some research to find something I can use. 

Also not sure if the roof is damaged or meant to be like that. 

I will definitely change the camera to try and match the concept once I get it in to Unreal.
  • PJPayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PJPayne polycounter lvl 7
    @BucketOfNuggets

I believe this is how it is (With the green one being behind the red beams). It is unfortunate framing, as it seem both horizontal beams of the gap are obstructed by other beams)

As far as if it was meant to be like that or if it's destroyed, I think it was intentional. 
    The yellow shows outside, blue is inside. The white space I believe to be getting light from the gap in the ceiling, so it serves a purpose. 
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help @PJPayne

Just a quick update, made a tileable floor and did some steps. The steps I just threw quickly in to SP to make sure it all bakes right and put a quick Smart Material on it. 

The artstation comp is about to start though :(