Home Technical Talk

How to approach this when you have front vie and SIMILAR but not same character side view

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ISUther polycounter lvl 6
I found pictures on web and i wanted to create model based on those. 
I started today with Maya and started to set up image planes (front and side view). 
My question is how can i get some kind of indicators on images that i see in the screen. 
I can see front and side view image but with eye setting up similar (but not same) character images is  not perfect and i did think may be there is a good tip for that?
Both pictures have similar character in there. With similar poses.
Jaw and nose placement etc. 

What did was i created basic plane 
Create >> Polygon Primitives >> Plane
and i scaled it up and trying to use it as guideline to adjust image planes jaw placement, nose placement, eyes placement so they will be aligned. 
Note! My images are different sizes and i don`t have perfect ref images. 
Additional question: 
Is there a way to snap front view or side view same way as in Zbrush?
This would be handy when adjusting those Planes for image so i can accurately adjust side image by scaling and changing it position  I also tried to scale image without adjusting only one side horizontal, vertical)  but cant seem to get command button work in Maya. 
I use Windows OP system

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tap the space bar to "zoom" out of the current camera to the four panes. When you press space bar while the cursor is over another view, you "zoom" into that view. The top/front/side cameras are orthographic so you can work accurately.

Also, if you enable the View Cube in the preferences, it can be clicked on to snap your camera to specific angles.
  • ISUther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what i tried to do. 
    The planes i set in order to measure accurately the image placement (as images are not same size and not exactly same drawings but more like SIMILAR).
    But atm issue is that when i want to view side or front view i cant see both same time so i have to view from 45 degree angle to adjust planes according to ONE image and then adjust PICTURE of side view according to Planes that i have created. 
    Problem is that i need to view exactly from flat so i can adjust other image exactly. 
    Need to nail the jaw, nose and eyes position.
    I am sorry for those noob questions. I picked up Maya yesterday.

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they are only similar drawings, you're never going to get them to match up perfectly. You could edit them in Photoshop or something to get a closer match to make this easier. Also, why not rotate one of the image planes so they both face the same way first?
  • ISUther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got them adjusted trying to model on it now will see how it turns out. As it is my second day in Maya im slow :D