Home Unreal Engine

Cinematic Camera Noisy Depth of Field

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zubnero polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys,

I am encountering some "issues"  with the Cinematic Camera actor in UE4, I am trying to create some detail shots, and everything is working fine, but I find the Depth of Field a little too noisy but there doesn't seem to be a setting to soften it up, I was hoping to get some input/ideas here :), thanks a lot in advance.

I have been trying to blur it using Post processing, but the DoF settings do no longer seem to affect the cinematic camera.

These are the settings I am using:

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    From the official documentation:

"Circle Depth of Field

The Circle DoF is the newest addition and matches real world cameras more closely. Simialar to the Bokeh DoF you can see circular shaped Bokeh with sharp HDR content. Very large Bokeh are a weakness of this algorithm, they appear noisy and not as clear as the BokehDOF can do them. The method has good performance (quite better than Bokeh DoF) and good quality, especially in the transition areas."

This is a normal behavior from this DoF method.

• Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    From the official documentation:

"Circle Depth of Field

The Circle DoF is the newest addition and matches real world cameras more closely. Simialar to the Bokeh DoF you can see circular shaped Bokeh with sharp HDR content. Very large Bokeh are a weakness of this algorithm, they appear noisy and not as clear as the BokehDOF can do them. The method has good performance (quite better than Bokeh DoF) and good quality, especially in the transition areas."

This is a normal behavior from this DoF method.

Alright, great thanks for the find, since the cinematic camera is trying to mimic real world camera's I don't suppose there is a way to change this?
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    You can change the DoF through a post-process volume with the cinematic camera. You have to change an option in the Focus Method dropdown so it will recognize the post-process, but after that you can adjust the DoF in the volume through Sequencer with the rest of the animation. 

I don't remember exactly the option was though :( but I think the Focus Method only has a few options.
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart said:
    You can change the DoF through a post-process volume with the cinematic camera. You have to change an option in the Focus Method dropdown so it will recognize the post-process, but after that you can adjust the DoF in the volume through Sequencer with the rest of the animation. 

I don't remember exactly the option was though :( but I think the Focus Method only has a few options.
    Thanks!, this seems to do the trick, the settings for tracking are Manual/Tracking and None, if I set it to None the post process effect starts having effect.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Having this same issue with ue4 cinematic cameras. Their depth of field seems to distort the edges of the meshes in a jagged manner. The regular camera seems to give a better smoother appearance. I am not sure what I am doing wrong tbh.