Home Technical Talk

Chair recommendations

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
I know there is probably lots of threads on this already but I'm sure it changes from year to year so wanted to bring it up again.
So what kind of Chair is everyone using? I have mostly been using 200 - 400$ chairs, but I'm getting a bit worried about the future since I'm sitting most hours of the day so might as well do some more research and get a proper chair.

Idealy I don't want to spend more then 1500$ though.

Replies

• Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    nothing wrong with cheap chairs - some of the can be great, but it's a lot of trial and error.
    Personally, if you go for chairs, the king of office chairs, the Aeron would be my favorite. We had them in the first studio I worked in and they were the most comfortable office chairs ever. When the production was done and the assets were liquidated, a lot of employees bought their chars, because they were just so awesome
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i have the aeron in my homeoffice. it's a sturdy and comfy thing if you buy the right size but i hope that's not the king of chairs. :) i find a headrest essential but here it's an aftermarket accessory for starters. anyway if you go for it, make sure to not get the stupid lumbar bar but rather the proper butterfly shaped back support bracket. one plus for the aeron is general availability of replacement parts, enabling you to swap out most elements for yourself.

there's a more stylish looking alternative from japan said to be pretty much comparable though - http://www.okamura.jp/en_ap/products/seating/contessa/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoFPXgItQZE
    might be the cheaper option in your location, not really available over here so never tried it. also in general consider buying a refurb if a new one ends up exceeding your budget.

• Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    What chair are you currently using?
    When I was looking for a chair upgrade, some friends of mine recommended this:
    http://www.needforseatusa.com/computer_office_gaming_chair_xlseries )

I was skeptical at first, but after visiting them and sitting in it, I bought one. I absolutely dont regret it.
    It's not particularly soft, and you dont sink down in it like a comfy seat, but it just supports really well, and I can sit in it forever and feeling well supported, without sinking down and hanging, like I do in the office.

Apart from that, deadlifts are probably one of the best things you can do for your back, if that's your concern.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the Aeron comes up in most conversations, I hear the original design might not be as good as they though for health and back issues, but I guess the re worked version is better, how does the other Herman miller chairs compare?

if the Okamura chairs are any good that might be a worthy choice, and easier since I'm in Japan, will go and try one.

Up until now I just bought the chair that felt good to sit in, but in reality it's not always the chair that feels the most comfortable that is the best health wise, so I guess I want something that is proven which probably means an Aeron or something similar.

Will read up on Spoons chair as well.

Thanks for the info guys.
  • f1ey
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    IKEA's 300 Euro "Volmar" got top marks in a german consumer magazine's tests a couple of months ago, for what it's worth. I think they limited the entries to around 300 Euro in cost, though.

Lifting weights on the regular as well as riding my bike/running are indispensable for my back health too..
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I have seen some sites mentioned an Ikea chair, sure if it's just as good then why not, but I rather buy the best and something that last a long time then save money.

Yeah the best solution would of course be to regularly work out, and I do lift weights but sometimes I can just sit for days without leaving the house, so a chair will be needed as well, nothing can replace good exercise though.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Yeah the Aeron comes up in most conversations, I hear the original design might not be as good as they though for health and back issues, but I guess the re worked version is better, how does the other Herman miller chairs compare?

if the Okamura chairs are any good that might be a worthy choice, and easier since I'm in Japan, will go and try one.

re: aeron - i only know of the back support bracket (whatever they call it) as a significant design change over the original plastic bar thingie.
    you should look for reviews on their other chairs. they have a lower end aeron-alike model called mirra and a more expensive thing called embody that seems entirely different in concept.

the okamura has a few more adjustment options than the aeron and a headrest, personally i'd look into that one first. important points are build quality and replace-ability of parts so you don't have to trash the entire thing after a few years like a normal office chair.

come to think of it, another popular higher end model is the steelcase leap.

btw if you're one of these folks who prefer standing desks, aeron and steelcase are also available in a stool type configuration.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    cptSwing said:
    IKEA's 300 Euro "Volmar" got top marks in a german consumer magazine's tests a couple of months ago, for what it's worth. I think they limited the entries to around 300 Euro in cost, though.

Lifting weights on the regular as well as riding my bike/running are indispensable for my back health too..
    I went out buying chairs after I saw that test. I tried various chairs at Ikea and I'm not very convinced. I bought two slightly lower priced Ikea chairs in the end, but the quality of the parts is just so-so. They're fairly comfty though, but they compare like a Ford to a Bentley (Aeron). Both Ikea chairs I bought share many parts, so I guess the Volmar does too. In the past, I got no-name office chairs for half the price which were twice as good. Sorry Ikea, not convinced with any of your office chairs.
  • JohnJefferson
    That's a good question dude, my work is in the office and sometimes I do it in my home on my room. So, sitting so long is one of my problem before because you know if you sit for a too long after a few hours you're not feeling good and want to stand up for a moment to relax your hip and the back of your body right?  So, I look for amazon a good chair that can reduce myself for being ceasing and I found

"Homall Homall Office Chair Executive Swivel Leather Desk Chair, Racing Style Task Chair High-back Gaming Chair Pu Leather and Mesh Bucket Seat,Computer Lumbar Support Chair" and it feels very comfortable for me.
  • blindjudgement
    Offline / Send Message
    blindjudgement polycounter lvl 13
    I used to buy cheaper sub 300 dollars chair and I got tired of replacing them every couple of years because the padding wore out, I have an Aeron now, They're more money, but they hold up really well and are really comfortable. And seeing as my Aeron is now 10 years old and going strong with no need to replace soon, it has actually saved me money long term. Something of note though if you are taller. I'm 6'3" and use a standing desk at work and have the Aeron stool at work, and it is not nearly as comfortable for me as the regular chair because the stool only comes in the B frame size and at my height I need the C frame size. The company is looking for a replacement stool that comes with a longer seat pan. So just be aware of that. I've also worked at a place that used Steelcase chairs and they were also very comfortable and high quality. 
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomasp - Yeah I would be a standing desk guy if there was any good long big desks to get here, Japan is very bad at selling bigger desks since everyone seems to be happy with 90cm desks.

Kwramm - I don't think it said that all Ikea chairs would be good, the only chair that all websites mention is Ikea - Markus.

JohnJefferson - Yeah I have found most of the chairs I have bought through the years comfortable, I guess what I'm looking for is those hidden positives that you might not feel but in the long run keeps you a bit more healthy.

Blindjudgement - I had no idea it was customizable like that, not totally sure what 6'3 is in centimeters but I'm 186cm so might be worth looking into, thanks for the info.

I'll probably go with the Aeron remastered or the Okamura, will go and try them out, thanks a lot for all the info guys.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I have a DX-Racer F-Series chair, super happy with it and well worth the money. IF I had to complain about anything it'd probably that the armchairs could be a bit more comfy but it's not really an issue I've felt.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Kwramm - I don't think it said that all Ikea chairs would be good, the only chair that all websites mention is Ikea - Markus.

You're right, but I tried them all. There are about 3 - 4 chairs which feel very similar comfort wise. The problem is more like the build quality - and it's important to note, that's how Ikea works - different products share parts, and Makrus chair does too.
    The chair I picked is comfty, but the wheels make it easy to roll you around at the slightest movement you make. Also, the chair developed some squeaking when moving (despite tightening all screws).... Maybe the Markus is totally different, but I doubt it. My wife's Ikea chair - similar story. Just saying, you probably get more value for the money elsewhere. Or try your luck.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    isn't that just standard ikea then? you see the product in a catalogue and it looks like good value and surprisingly nicely designed. then up close it appears to be made from plastic, snot and filled with paper mache. or thereabouts. :)

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm - Yeah I guess the build is you get what you pay for kinda, I probably wouldn't buy it even if it was recommended, and I'm Swedish hehe.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If anything try giving the alternative a try - plain old wooden or metal chairs, without any swivels or knobs. They does wonders to the posture and body, similarly to sleeping on a hard surface !

There are some pretty stylish ones out there too - http://www.velastile.com/en/shop/sedie-in-legno/sd-meriggio-b-sedia-in-legno/

But then the great thing is that you can also get some totally decent (ugly) ones for like $5.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the plain hard wooden chair would probably be a good choice to keep a good posture, have a feeling my ass wouldn't like it though.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @pior Can you really sit comfortably on a chair like that for a full day? :open_mouth:
    Even though it is around 10 years ago, I remember being at a LAN once, where I had something like this.
    My bony ass was completely sore after that. If I remember Jonas correctly, he also doesnt have the most cushiony ass in the world.
    It's an interesting alternative, though. Completely different direction than I would ever have looked myself.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Spoon : my not-so-cushiony ass is doing fine for now as far as I can tell :)

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon said:
    @pior Can you really sit comfortably on a chair like that for a full day? :open_mouth:
    Even though it is around 10 years ago, I remember being at a LAN once, where I had something like this.
    My bony ass was completely sore after that. If I remember Jonas correctly, he also doesnt have the most cushiony ass in the world.
    It's an interesting alternative, though. Completely different direction than I would ever have looked myself.
    although my ass has gotten a bit more cushiony over the years I have some sort of damage to my tailbone so if I don't have my special tailbone pillow with a hole in the end I feel constant pain, so yeah probably no wooden chairs for me.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    At a previous office I had Inaba Yera, they were really good, especially compared to my current 50yrs old crap chair...
    Maybe you can find a store to try one.
    http://www.inaba-ss.co.jp/office/catalog/office2015/pdf/yera.pdf
  • gsokol
    +1 for aeron.  Super expensive, but they have a 12 year warranty...so it would probably be worth it in the long run.  I have one at work, very comfortable to sit in for long periods of time.  My cheapo office chair frequently hurts my back...thinking about taking the plunge for one at home soon.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    if I don't have my special tailbone pillow with a hole in the end I feel constant pain, so yeah probably no wooden chairs for me.

begs the question if such a pillow is even compatible with ergonomic chairs? if it means you end up sitting higher than normal it might just conflict with the overall shape of the backrest?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    hm I thought about that as well but since it`s only like 2 cm I guess it`s the same as if I just had a bit fatter ass.
  • Чуча мандра
    As for me it is the best chair that can choose a gamer represented on the website http://worldcultwatch.org/. And the price and quality and power all in one chair. Even skill will be added! So don't hesitate to buy :)