Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Color zones of the face and other Painting Resources

noface789
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
noface789 polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, beginner here and was wondering if anyone had something like this but for the human body: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/05/color-zones-of-face.html

I've been looking everywhere but can't seem to dig up anything. The closest thing I found was another polycount thread where one of posters mentioned that the elbows and knees were darker with the backside of the arms and legs being paler etc. I know I shouldn't expect a tutorial for everything and try learning off of references, but I wanted to see if there were concepts and techniques that were tried and tested that I could apply to painting the body before I start trying my own techniques. 

To elaborate, a lot of the resources I've found were just tutorials on how to create realistic human textures via photo or painting. I feel like just making one eventone realistic human texture and spreading that all around the body and calling it finished isn't the right thing to do - I'm sure there are colorzones for the body where the blood comes through subtly and not so subtly.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm moving this from Career & Education to the 2D Art Showcase & Critiques section. Technique & reference discussion makes more sense there, and it should get you more feedback too.

Skin coloration is informed directly by anatomy. If you study superficial anatomy in particular... muscles & ligaments & tendons & fat layers directly below the skin... then the skin coloration will start to become clearer. Especially when examining photo reference.

James Gurney is great btw. I highly recommend his Color & Light book.
  • noface789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noface789 polycounter lvl 2
    Oh I had forgotten all about this thread, thanks a lot for the feedback and recommendation!