Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Returning to 3D - First time on Polycount

null
Offline / Send Message
Cerenios null
Hello everyone! I'm not sure if I'm creating this topic in the right place, but this site looks like exactly what I need! 

I did some low poly 3D back in Uni, but was ultimately convinced "I can't use this" and have been scared to learn it properly so abandoned it. No more!! I'm getting over demons and ready to head face first back into 3D and games dev. Remind myself why I wanted to make games.

This is the first thing I've modeled in 3 years. I'd REALLY appreciate any and all feedback. My progress will be slow, but I'm resolute to learn. I'll post what I can here (or in a new topic? I'm not sure how this works)

Sword - Maya, Photoshop for textures (sword - 2266 tris /// sheath - 4224 tris)

All feedback appreciated. Thanks again!

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I like your enthusiasm!
    For a first model in 3 years, it is not bad modeling wise, texture wise it could use some more work. What is your target? If you where to put this is game, which game would it go into? I ask because by knowing what kind of game you would want this to be in I can give better texturing feedback direction.

The general texturing feedback I can give right now is that it lacks proper material definition, right now it looks like you mostly used photos. While you can get a good base from that, there is a very high chance you will have to manually do some painting as well. For example, metal edges often exhibit wear more than flat faces. Small scratches and subtle noise can be used to enhance the texture. Usually you want to paint in some light and shadow on your textures, how much depends on the style you're going for. The handle of your katana also looks blurry and undefined, going in and cleaning it up can really help it out.

I did a paint over to show how you can improve some areas of the texture, and hopefully give you a general idea of areas you can improve on:

• Cerenios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cerenios null
    Thanks @Alemja ! I really appreciate the feedback :)

I didn't consider asking myself "What game would use this?". Rookie mistake! 

Actually, I love painting textures, they used to be my favorite part. But I was told that new-gen/realistic games all only use photos, and that painted textures only applied to stylized, or low-poly models. (which in hindsight...this is!)

I'm going to redo the texture map completely and post later :) 
  • Cerenios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cerenios null
    Sorry for the silence! I'm a little slow + full time job. I went back and redid the textures. Painted in ClipStudio Paint:

If anyone has some advice on painting gold textures, I'd love to hear it!