Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] UE4 Environment " Courtyard "

null
Offline / Send Message
Vaille null
Hello polycount !  

For my first post, i would like to share with you the progression / finalisation of my first scene with a PBR workflow in Unreal Engine ! All critics/feedbacks are welcome. I have a lot to learn ! :)  

I have been working on this scene for the past 5 weeks and i'm in the final sprint because It has to be done for the next week . 

The whole scene is my work except the blueprint for the ivy generation which is Smart Spline generator plugin( huge thanks to the devs who made it ).

EDIT : The scene is done, huge thanks for the feedbacks, they helped me a lot ! Pictures are at the bottom, but i suggest you to see my Artstation for the full image set, and also, all textures, materials, and highpolys models of the scene :) 

And the final render :

Before starting, here is my inspirations / references :

Then comes the first models and a rough/block out of the scene. I Didn't know what i really wanted, so it was kinda messy at this state.

Day by day, texture by texture, the scene got more precise :

Here are also some pictures of props and materials i did with Subtance painter/designer. Not as good as my references, time was short, so i had to make concessions :

And the actual state of my work ! There are a lot of things to polish : Lights, some maps, and the placements of props. I apologize for the "preview" stickers, i have some issue with the light building at the moment. I will try to adjust the scene as much as i can.
More to come in the next days !  ;)

Replies

• rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one thing that bothers me is the lightning, your sun positions does not match with the amount of violet on your shadows, that is something that happens closer to sunset time, and  it would also tint the sky in purple. For your time of day you would have something closer to that:

The shadows are still a little purple on "my" version, I was to lazy to tint them on blue, but you get the idea.

IF you really want the purple look to it, try lowering the sun position and intensity, also try adding a nice gradient on the sky.

As for the assets, I dig it. They are all looking pretty good together. I would only concentrate the shots close to the military props to show more your PBR skills, instead of the trees.

• Vaille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vaille null
    Thanks a lot for the feedback ! I lowered the purple in the shadows, and also adjusted few things like the fog. It work way better i think :) Here is a picture :

For the final shots, i will make close one for the military props, but i need to finalize the scene before making the final beauty shot and also and a cinematic. Right now i'm presenting all my assets to show wireframe, triangle count, etc , here is a snapshot ! :smile:

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice scene, shaping up quickly!
    I have to second @rohMizuno . The lighting also feels off to me, but its something you can always look at down the line :)
    Looking forward to see where this is going!

• Vaille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vaille null
    So i tried to variant of light, one with a more "blue" tint, and the other one, more yellow like your pictures @rohMizuno :) Here is the pictures ( my exposure in the scene is maybe a bit too high also) :

I'm not sure which one is the best, if at least one is correct ! Does the shadow have to be more dark/bright ? And which tone ? Thanks a lot for the feedbacks !

Here is a way more contrasted version :smile:

• rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking a lot better! I love the mood on the one where the light is on, and for the shadows, they are pretty good, the problem is their contrast with the sun light, that should be more closer to yellow.
    Usually works that way, the more clear the sky is, highest will be the contrast between areas affected by the sun and shadows, a clear day with no clouds and clear atmosphere will have a strong and yellow sun light, and a really dark blue/violet shadow (because of the indirect light coming from the bright blue sky), the shadow will also be darker.
    As the sun starts to get closer to the horizon he will start to get closer to a red color, and the atmosphere will start to get some of his colors, that is why sometimes we see a purple sun set.
    Also, if the day start to get more cloudy, the contrast between sun and shadows is less, both in color and intensity, to a point where, when fully clouded everything will be washed by almost white ambient light, with no blues or yellows.
    I hope my explanation made sense.

In my opinion, for your scene, my be a good idea to go to a closer to sunset time of day, with a red sunlight hitting the windows, creating a contrast with a cool lights from the spotlight would be a good mood.

keep it up!
  • Vaille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vaille null
    Thanks a lot for your explanation @rohMizuno ! I understand way more how it should works, but i will need to practice in my future scene to fully get it ! :) My scene is actually over, and i choosed the more "contrasted" and day light setup, and you was completly right, it work way better, at least to me ! :D I cannot thank you enough for your feedbacks !!

I added it to Artstation yesterday, and now i'm sharing it here ! :)  Here is some pictures of the final scene, but i suggest you to see my Artstation for the full image set, and also, all textures, materials, and highpolys models of the scene :)

And the final render ( i will try to upload more image later, upload work 1 time on 20 to me for the moment, i apologize ) :

• Piffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piffles polycounter lvl 5
    These are incredible! Amazing work. I love all the breakdowns and materials you did.
  • rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am glad I could help.
    And no worries, I like the final result as well. A lot of time the best thing is to abandon the project and go to the next challenge.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Nice! Though I feel the leaf planes of the tree don't match the rest of the scenes detail. Could easily double the polycount there and match the rest of the scene. Good job otherwise!
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    Everything looks great, with the exception of the trees. They're mediocre when compared to the rest of the scene in my opinion.