Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stylized Sage Merchant

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Antheavl polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, first post here!  :)

Started out as environment artist, but I want to expand my artistic skills into the character department as well. My main reason for posting here is to receive feedback, so that would be nice!

I've drawn a concept of my own character, influenced mainly by games like the Legend of Zelda and the Last Guardian:

I've started a block out in Zbrush as well, to kind of experiment with how the shapes should look. Let me know what you guys think, as well as other feedback!

Replies

• Antheavl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The past weeks I've gone around and asked a lot of feedback, and this as of now is the result. Most of it was editing the anatomy, as well as a lot of structure in the face. Overall pretty happy with the progress! :smiley:

• Antheavl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I posted.. but I did continue working on my project!
    A lot of progress has been made, so here's a few pictures.

Some fixing of the face.

Initial tests in Marvelous designer, after which I created her robe and imported that into Zbrush. Will need some more pattern fixing later on though :)
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Those shoes :O I would love to be able to have her balance! Those shoes and that pot on her head :)

It is coming along well. The changes done to the anatomy definitely made it better :)
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :) 
  • Antheavl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to create an animal companion for her, a yak that carries her table along with some supplies.

Very rough blockout, trying to figure out where I want to go with the style and the fur.
    At this point I'm just rolling with it. Later I discovered I didn't like that you couldn't see how the body was constructed and I didn't like the overall anatomy.. 

Now just to get a nice rhythm in the fur to avoid it looking too noisy.

He just lacked a little bit of flair, which is when I found a great solution. Using the spiral brush in Zbrush gave him the most adorable curls!

And this is where I'm at now! Time to give the grandma a bit more love now (no, not like that :neutral:)

As always, feedback is more than welcome! :smiley:
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    really cool Yak sculpt. love the fur work, subbed.
  • griffitii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    griffitii greentooth
    The ropes on the Yak look cool! Watch that they don't look too out of place against the ropes around the pot of the woman's head :)
  • Antheavl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a quick update, did most of the detailing on the grandma's part now! 

I started off with detailing the clothing a bit more. Using the Dstandard tool made it easy for me to create creases and seams (inverted the brush for seams).

I decided to detail on a layer, so I could easily switch out some different ideas. I ended up making her facial details a bit too realistic (1) so I could easily decrease the opacity of that using the layer (0.5), so putting it lower looked a bit better imo.

The same counts for the hands in this case.

For the hair, I started with a rough 'helmet' to block out where I wanted it all to be and what the shape should be.

Then, using extract I made a bunch of strands that I then detailed and groomed. Added some fluff to her strands to match the yak fur.

I realized I forgot her walking stick, so I made a quick blockout and detailed that as well.

and this is her now! 

if you guys have feedback or other comments, please let me know! :smiley:
  • Antheavl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been texturing my project for the past weeks, and it's really starting to come along nicely!
    Before moving on to texturing, I made some objects for the yak to put on his back.

The first blockout for the stuff felt very random, so I decided to make more of a backstory for the characters. The old woman is a very experienced but retired alchemist, and since she doesn't have use for her stuff anymore, she decides to sell it all. This way, it was easier for me to find objects that belonged to a theme.

I made the low polys and UVs, then baking those out and testing them in Marmo.

After that, I blocked out the main materials/masks in Substance Painter. Still just very rough. Same goes for the little objects and the yak.

Experimenting with what kinds of patterns I want, making materials of cloth in Designer and then using those in Painter.

And this is where I'm at now;

I'm currently in the last week of finishing this up, and it's clearly not final yet. I'm struggling very hard with the shaders (like the fur and glass to name a few), so if you guys have some tips or feedback I'd really love to hear it!! :)

Bonus:

• Antheavl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, been a while. I've finished my graduation project in the meantime, and I wanted to share the end result with you all. I've created an environment along with my character! You can find the whole post on my Artstation HERE, and the video HERE.

and here's the characters in Marmo:

Feel free to visit my portfolio!
    Thank you guys for the help along the way, it helped me grow as an artist and a person.  <3 
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow! congrats on finishing! nice environment as well, really sets the mood :)