Home Marmoset

3.02 refraction shader and eyes

nsb
nsb
null
Offline / Send Message
nsb null
Hi guys,

The announcement of the refraction shader got me excited for eye rendering in toolbag, at the moment I use two sphere with dome-out geo on both cornea and iris, parallax map and normal map tricks to fake both caustic illumination/refraction and it works great until you look at it from 70-90 angle then the parallax mapping trick breaks.

So I've been trying to get the refraction shader to work and fix the problem with the para map method but its a strange shader compared to most refraction settings in other renderer(vray, arnold etc). If I use the pretty standard eye geo method of 1 dome-out sphere for cornea and a flat or slightly dome-in sphere for the iris/pupil, it doesnt really work. First the settings dont match real world, usually in other shaders IOR of 1.3-1.4 is perfect every time for a eye, in tool bag I cant get results unless its 1.010 or something very low- if I dont it over refracts/magnifies. If I play with it long enough I get something that works ok but breaks again at 70-90 angle but this time its like the refraction effect just stops and leaves a transparent edge on the cornea, if I try and increase the settings it over magnifies and breaks everything.

Any tips guys? or can I just assume this shader was mainly made as a simple fake for glass bottles windows and such..
thanks

Replies