Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samurai Guy W.I.P. C&C are welcome!

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
yukimusha polycounter lvl 4
Last WIP:

Hello, I'm starting a Character for a personal project.
I want to make it as a portfolio piece. I'm taking it slowly since I have little spare time left between my daily life and job xD
My idea is to render him in UE4 and make some nice shaders for the clothing, but I have no idea how to rig the Hakama piece, which was a pain in the ass to make in Marvelous designer. Instead of making them as essentially baggy pants, I'm trying to do the inner pleats.
I'll post a closeup when I finish the face.
C&C are welcome!!
So, here he is:

Replies

• yukimusha
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I am making some progress on my character (this will be really slow :P)

The head is almost finished. I need to work on his ears and some other details. I want to make some beard but later...

The clothes still WIP, same with the hands (wich Im working on another file).

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • yukimusha
    Offline / Send Message
    @TeriyakiStyle Thanks man! I have a mannequin wearing a kendogi, but it has no arms. So I let the marvelous designer do the major folds for me... I know, I have to correct it!!
    About the actor, maybe my main reference was Ebizo Ichikawa but I used some references just for the asian facial features. I didn't want him to look like another guy.
  • moonlazer
    Offline / Send Message
    moonlazer polycounter lvl 7
    Hey @yukimusha, I think this is coming along great. Theres a couple of things I noticed In terms of the anatomy of the head.
    1.) The shape of the skull from the behind. It seems like it may need to move in, a little too far out. Depending on age and fat, may just need to be smoothed.
    2.) Geo behind the ear can use some love.
    3.) Japanese facial structures tend to have the eye brow ridge a little more forward but not to pronounced. The inset to the eye socket is a little more pronounced.

Hope this helps! Keep it up!
  • yukimusha
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @moonlazer! I think the back skull is getting a little caucasian so I need to work on it a little more.  About the ears, yeah, I need to start giving love to them (I hate making ears xDDDD I guess I need to improve that once for all).
    About the eyesockets, you're right, maybe it's too soft right now.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Oh I've been working on his hands! So here are some pictures:

The wrinkles and veins have their own layers so I still can work on proportions
  • moonlazer
    Offline / Send Message
    moonlazer polycounter lvl 7
    @yukimusha Yeah its easy to not want to give it TLC if its getting covered by hair ;p
    Hands are coming along great! Hands happen to be my personal achilles. 
  • Jakub
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Everything is looking really nice so far, but I'd rework the overall proportions. Head seem to be slightly too big, make sure he is 7.5/8 heads tall.
  • yukimusha
    Offline / Send Message
    @moonlazer yeap thats why I hate ears :P and feet aswell but this guy will need some good feet as base. Thanks dude!

@Jakub Yup, It seems that I lost the scale, I'll fix it, now he is 6.75 heads tall :/ Thanks man!