Home Career & Education

How do you even utilize a forum in everyday work?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
SpiderHearts polycounter lvl 3
Hi, I'm SpiderHearts, and I'm new to this forum. I was told, through school, that this would be a great resource for any questions that I happen to have. But, and I guess this is kind of a stupid question, so I really apologize, how do you ask questions? How am I supposed to get information and knowledge from a forum? There are so many topics and questions that I don't even know where to start. 

How am I supposed to ask about a particular extrusion that I'm struggling with? How am I supposed to ask about my gray AO bakes? I feel like I'm really struggling this semester, but I don't even know where to start with learning outside of class. 

Thank you for all of your help and support, random internet people. I hope that, by welcoming me into your community, we'll become friends, or -- judging by the nature of the website -- maybe colleagues someday.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Basically everything @TeriyakiStyle said! 
    There's a lot of information over on the wiki too if you're wondering about certain processes when it comes to what you might need for game art.  
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polycount

I say if you're struggling this semester focus down on your assignments, roam the wiki for information, and find a solid focus on where you'd want to improve.  Usually it's best to create a project for yourself so that way you can create something you'd enjoy and learn at the same time!  
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    before you ask a question, just make sure it has not been answered before by using the search function
    time and time again, people start with questions, which are just a search away from being answered, don't be one of them :)
  • SpiderHearts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpiderHearts polycounter lvl 3
    Neox said:
    before you ask a question, just make sure it has not been answered before by using the search function
    time and time again, people start with questions, which are just a search away from being answered, don't be one of them :)
    I could understand that one. Actually, when it comes to forums, I suffer from not being able to ask questions because it's probably been asked before. Usually, I just don't know what to search for, I don't know if my situation is unique, and I don't know if I could find the right answers with my limited library of key words.

I'll get better at it over time, but there is a learning curve when it comes to forum communities. 

Edit: To be honest, there are times (not always) when I would rather accidentally ask a question that's been asked before and get answers with links to previous discussions about the topic than to not ask and not be able to find the answers I need on my own.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    often times just googling your thread title gives the answer. really it happened a lot on this forum, that simply searching for the thread title was the perfect match :)