Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Textures not visible in 3Do

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
I have a vehicle that I started texturing on an older version of Quixel (2.0) I wanted to make the headlight transparent but I wasn't able to isolate the transparency to just the glass, it was either all over or nowhere. I updated my quixel and photoshop to the latest versions. I read that having the glass on the headlight as a separate mesh within the object group might fix the problem, so I did that but now my mesh isn't showing any textures in 3Do, just grey. I've tried refreshing 3Do and closing/reopening quixel. also sometimes my model shows up in 3do at a strange axis (slanted 45 degrees). I definitely think I'm doing something wrong on my end, I haven't worked with quixel in a while so its possible I'm missing an easy step.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    That's because your mesh doesn't match the naming convention expected of a mesh in 3DO for texture display. Each mesh group (separate objects within one FBX/OBJ with different names) must correspond to the DDO or NDO PSDs loaded in Photoshop, otherwise 3DO cannot assign textures to them automatically.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's because your mesh doesn't match the naming convention expected of a mesh in 3DO for texture display. Each mesh group (separate objects within one FBX/OBJ with different names) must correspond to the DDO or NDO PSDs loaded in Photoshop, otherwise 3DO cannot assign textures to them automatically.
    mhm I saw you comment this on someone else's post. I checked my ddo files and it looks like my first mesh wash originally called 'Mesh' so now that my obj file contains two meshes (the separated glass for the headlight, and the rest of the vehicle), what is the correct way to rename them so ddo will recognize them? I tried renaming the vehicle mesh to 'Mesh' to see if the textures would work on that part at least, and it didn't seem to make a difference. luckily I still have the old mesh file on hand, so I re-imported that into 3do and the textures show up on that one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Its starting to seem like it might be too late in the process for me to split the mesh into 2 and re-import it. is there another way I can get the glass on the headlight to be transparent?

thankyou for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    The only workaround for your situation would be to use the Import tab, select the glass mesh, and import the exported textures manually. 3DO is meant more as a texturing previewer, not so much as a Marmoset Toolbag replacement, so it's admittedly not as easy to adjust stuff on the fly like this. Using the Import tab will work though. Just be sure to export your textures first and load them on the glass mesh.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only workaround for your situation would be to use the Import tab, select the glass mesh, and import the exported textures manually. 3DO is meant more as a texturing previewer, not so much as a Marmoset Toolbag replacement, so it's admittedly not as easy to adjust stuff on the fly like this. Using the Import tab will work though. Just be sure to export your textures first and load them on the glass mesh.
    okay cool, so just to confirm the process with you. I would finish texturing the vehicle, export the textures as flat files (albedo, spec, etc) then start a new project with those maps as textures. (OR would I create a ddo material with those flat files?) either way, I would then import my split up mesh and apply the material to both meshes, but set the glass mesh to "dither". correct?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You can do this while you're still texturing it. Just be sure that the original mesh group doesn't change names when you export the new mesh group within the OBJ/FBX. 3DO's Import tab covers the process. :)