Home Technical Talk

3d Studio Max to Substance Painter - The Emperor Throne - bakingand color problems

null
Offline / Send Message
giancoli null
Hi, I just registered to the forum. I'm a newbie to the world of 3d. I have learned the basics of modeling in 3d Studio Max. I'm done with the modeling process of the chair or throne of the Emperor from Star Wars. It's a relatively simple object, but I'm quite happy with it. Now I want to make it look nice with materials and texture and so on, I want to import it to Substance painter make it look nice, then import it back into 3d Studio Max. I can't figure it out. I tried following tutorials, but I end up having issues.

Here is a picture of my model in 3d Studio max. I made a low and a high poly version of it:

I have done the uvw unwrapping, and I think it's ok. No overlapping etc. and it's normalized so the tiling is uniform over the models.

The foot is a separate object with its own uvw, I don't think it matters that the tiling is smaller?

When I export it to Substance painter I get this:

Notice how the colors vary from bluish to brownish colors.. Very annoying!

Also when I try to bake it, which I admit I don't fully understand I get errors and problems:

I get no errors when I do the baking of the opposite checkboxes, ie. Normal, World Space, Curvature and position. I the Normal tab supposed to be red like that?

Anyway, I would highly appreciate any help I could get to get started in substance painter. I would assume once I figure this one out it will help me in later projects too.

Replies

• Macebo
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character

Notice how the colors vary from bluish to brownish colors.. Very annoying!
    The texture looks weird because it is actually rendered in realtime (same as the 3d model), meaning that it is reacting to the light. That's why there is dark/lighter tones.

Also when I try to bake it, which I admit I don't fully understand I get errors and problems:

I get no errors when I do the baking of the opposite checkboxes, ie. Normal, World Space, Curvature and position. I the Normal tab supposed to be red like that?
    You can bake an ID map in multiple ways. I usually do via material colors. Since you chose to bake a vertex color and you don't have a high poly with vertex colors assigned that's why you got that error. To bake a color ID using material colors, go back to 3ds Max, assign different flat color materials to the different parts of the model that you want to separate, and then export a FBX. Then, in Substance Painter, select the "ID" option in the "baking" menu and select, in the first drop down menu, "material color".

Multiple causes can result in normal maps not beying baked. The high and the low poly are at the same world space, in a way that one is inside the other? It looks like the rays cast to capture the high poly details are missing the high poly entirelly... Also, did you name the objects correctly, since you chose to "match meshes name? This feature is case sensitive. "chair_high" is different than "Chair_high" in substance painter.
  • giancoli
    Offline / Send Message
    giancoli null
    Hi, I tried to fix a mistake on my post and the whole post disappeared. It's finally back up!

I don't understand why I have to assign color ID, doesn't seem necessary. I guess I have to accept it.
    I will try to do what you suggested, hopefully it will work. Thank you very much for the response.