huffer interpolator
    Is your mesh triangulated?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    huffer said:
    Is your mesh triangulated?
    This. You can see that the shading errors appears in X patterns. This means that your triangulation in UE is different from how it was during the baking. Make sure you triangulate before baking. 
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Chances are, that your FBX export from your software keeps quads but the substance FBX export triangulates.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Always triangulate your mesh before baking TSNM. Your vertex normals are directly driving the data in the NM. Any change after the fact will corrupt this data.

As the others have said above, every engine will auto-triangulate on render, if needed, so you need to make sure the triangulation is baked into your mesh.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    Basically your normal rendering program- xnormal or whatever- will turn your mesh into tris and calculate the bake, and the engine- UE4 Cry Unity- will also turn your mesh into tris, but in a different way (this will burn your normals as you see). So you can lock your tri turns, (you can use a modifier or hard lock and undo, or flag turn tris on export... this might not work, I found max wouldn't turn tris when kicked out; so up to you) in- Max Maya Modo- export, and then cook. Also dont miss that UE4 has import settings for your mesh so in case of static; import normals and mikktspace tangent should be flagged ( at least on my project). Also -xnormal substance handplane- should be flagged to bake with mikktspace as it should line up one to one with UE4. The same thing everyone else said besides the import settings thing :P
  • carrillo40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carrillo40 polycounter lvl 5
    thank you everyone you were all right however that fixed some of the artifacts but i can still see more in the lower part of the chair and a bit under the pattern. is this a separate problem?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Something is still going on with your normals, is the FBX importer set to import normals? Are you importing it as a static mesh? 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Are you importing the mesh vertex normals, or letting Unreal calculate them?
  • carrillo40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carrillo40 polycounter lvl 5
    thanks everyone. sorry but i've been having a busy weekend. i've done everything that has been suggested but i have not found the solution yet. ill try to bake normals in a different program just in case but i don't think that's the issue. thanks everyone