Home Technical Talk

Maya16 Question: Possible Edge Bevel Improvements

Dawsky
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone

I have been trying tons of thing now to improve mayas beveling result but with little success.
This may just be due to my imcompetece or i just miss the forrest for the trees by now.  

using maya 16 Extention 2

In the images you can see the model of which i am trying to bevel all hard edges in a single stroke.
For all i know, this shouldnt be a problem. Maya usually bevels n-gons as well as tris, so even tho this model is manually triangularted,
maya should be able to bevel my selection. 
While maya does bevel just fine on less complex goemetry, the complexity of my geometry seems to be the issue here. 
I`ve been trying back and forth, cleaned up the mesh, through option and by hand, tho nothing seems to enable maya to bevel the selection in one stroke. 
All it does is, it attempts to bevel for a second, than deselects my object with no bevel applied, while former smooth edges get hardened and thats it.

is it really just the complexity of the mesh maya has got problems with or am i missing something else?
if its just due to complexity is there some wierd topology maya doesnt like to bevel at all? 
what i am really after is some kind of "One-Click-High-Poly-Solution" to speed up my work.
i do have an option scripted already that smoothes all endges below a certain angle and selects all the hard edges remaining, the result can been seen in the pictures. For less complex geometry, a bevel at this point works perfectly its just the complex geometry i am having trouble with. 

Does anyone have an idea on what needs to be improved in order for maya to bevel complex geometry?

Best regards
David