Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max 2017] Face orientation problem | Please send help!! |

null
Hi Guys! first to all what a awesome place to learn and share knowledge! second I really sorry about my english, I will try to explain the best i can, nobody in spanish forums are helping me with this (dont know why, i think might be the facebook algorithm for post or something) 

Sooo here is the problem:

This is how it's look my model in the viewport with Edged faces and stuff, pretty simple...

When i use XVIEW / Face Orientation this is how it's look my model when I select it, shows that the face orientation (or normals I don't know) are flipped... ( or this is what i think so) 

Soo, I flipped my face normals and Voila! everything goes dark and shadeless but the face orientation stuff is gone, right? RIGHT?!

This is how my normals looks like, I think they look pretty "normal" right? (pun indeed) because they are pointing away of the face but the FREAKING FACES ARE HIGHLIGHTED!!!

Note: Yeah, I tried with Edit normals modifier, normal modifier, Edit mesh + Edit normals, Normal modifier (Flip + Unify) + Convert Poly + Normal modifier (Just flip) and nothing happen, this happend to me like the day before yesterday and i could fix it, but i really dont remember how and it's killing me.

this is how it's look in Marmoset in with the "face orientation" highlighted exported in OBJ

And this is how it's look in Marmoset exported in FBX ( Visible inversed normals)

Sorry about the jokes I'm new here and i dont know where else find a Answer for this, i was searching like for 5 hours in google and just the same answers over and over again...

If somebody can help me i will be grateful eternally <3

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    just select these faces and flip the normals
  • Juanorueda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Juanorueda null
    Neox said:
    just select these faces and flip the normals
    I did it! that's when the model turn in black (third photo) and i can't select vertex, edge or faces if i'm in "ignore backfacing", i tried the backface culling stuff just for check face orientation and when i flipped the normals turn transparent, but the face orientation highlight turn in the inside of the model (the supposedly right way), I'm starting to think that maybe is a bug in the Xview...
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Was that object mirrored on object level by any chance? If there were any negative values in $.scale.controller.value or $.objectOffsetScale that would explain it.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turn off backface culling in Object Properties. Reset Xform in Utilities. Collapse modifier stack. Then flip faces as needed.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Was that object mirrored on object level by any chance? If there were any negative values in $.scale.controller.value or $.objectOffsetScale that would explain it.

Isn't this a non-issue, now that Mirror is a modifier and defaults to the Geometry option?(which prevents the neg scale)
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Isn't this a non-issue, now that Mirror is a modifier and defaults to the Geometry option?(which prevents the neg scale)
    Well, the Mirror modifier was there... definitely in max 4, maybe even R2. I didn't notice whether or not the Mirror tool in the toolbar changed the defaults, but I still think that there are many people who are not aware of the implications of switching it to Transform instead just because they want separate objects that you can work with individually.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2017 Mirror tool defaults to Transform, at least for me, which is pretty shitty.
  • Juanorueda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Juanorueda null
    Thank you guys for the response! I just solve the problem, I export the model without any information of normals, texture coordinates or materials and re imported in a new scene without any texture or material info and apparently that reset the face orientation.

All the love for you guys! i will save this tips if something similar happen and this doesn't work.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Well, the Mirror modifier was there... definitely in max 4, maybe even R2.
    Sorry, I meant that when using the Mirror tool from the UI it auto-adds it as a modifier. :)

@Juanorueda Max is renowned for collecting scene garbage which can result in strange behaviour.(although it's definitely gotten much better in this regard in the last few releases) If you notice things like this happening it's best to save an increment straight away and reopen(or merge) So I'm guessing this is just one of those cases.