Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Pork Ramen House c&c Welcome!

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Imperial_Walker polycounter lvl 3
Long time polycount lurker trying to get more active in the community and level up my art skills :)

I am recreating a concept by Bangzheng Du, "The Best Pork Ramen House". Trying to get this fun stylized scene translated into 3D. Still some more things to add but getting it close to finished, I would love feedback. 

Concept:

Current scene in toolbag:

Replies

• NickBaker1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, i love how the pigs look like they're in motion and the emotion on their faces. In some cases it feels like there's more character to them than in the reference image. Outside of the characters everything seems quite accurate.
  • Imperial_Walker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback! I'll make sure to dial those pigs in closer to the concept. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really cool!

I would love to see more attention put into the lighting. Looking at the concept and imagining it in 3D, it feels like each floor would be illuminated by large area lights in the ceilings. That would help give it that luminous look. The hard shadows could be softer too.

You might also look into adding some SSS to the pigs to make them softer.

How are you doing the water in the jacuzzi? Some translucency there would be nice.
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, Imperial. First off, fantastic work. You did a great job capturing the hand drawn look of the concept and maintaining that in your execution in 3D. The one thing I'd consider is there are a few effects you could add in the 3D that are represented in the concept, such as the lightning bolts coming off of the machine of the pig in the electric chair, drips of water hitting and splashing out of the nozzle in the hot tub, adding more geometry to the noodles falling into the bucket so it doesn't just look like a flat plane, and more like bunches in a cylindrical shape. Finally, some things could pop with a little touch of glow, like in the signs and the grill, but that's a matter of taste. All of this is a little nitpicky, but great job overall.
  • Imperial_Walker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick
    Thank you for the feedback, I reworked the lights a bit to make sure give the lights more attention and achieve that luminous look, trying to make their placement more logical, not sure if I have it yet. I'll also look into the SSS for the pigs to try and soften them up. I was having a tough time with the lights, I'm a bit new to it so I appreciate the advice. I added some translucency to the jacuzzi water as well.  

@9Solid
    Thank you, I've added a few of the effects you've mentioned, trying to get all those fun details in, still have a few more to go. Ill also look at those highlights as well see if I can get more of that glow effect, there are a few parts I would like to take through another paining pass. I appreciate the feedback.   

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. I think a little bloom might help. Concept has no blacks. You're not remaking in 2d but maybe some ambient to kick up those deep shadows.