Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Super Hero Animation Critique

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Tengou vertex
I've been working on a super hero animation for a school project and I would really appreciate any crits that you can give. I'm not happy with it but I can't put my finger on why. If you have some time I would really like it if someone could tear into this. 

Link --> https://syncsketch.com/sketch/132256#150189

Replies

• AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth

Cool idea, you have a nice base to start from.

F1-44 Everything here is pretty static. A good tip I learned is: when doing a motion, use the “largest control” to sell an animation. For example: when doing a laugh you could just animate the head, but to really sell it you want to add his hips and gut to involve the whole body.

F48-78 This is a mechanically intense action, be sure to use reference or just act it out yourself to get an idea of how your body moves. Pay attention to where your center of gravity is, it will help really sell the weight movement.

F88-103 This motion is slow, speed it up and make that standing pose really strong and dynamic. Make it pop.

F120-160 The weight distribution here is nice, be sure to involve the upper body as well.

f150-f180 It's nice that you have an anticipation, but be sure it has a purpose and keep track of your arcs.

Jason has some good tips here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9swvG3-Zy8

Hopefully this helps some!

• _adamturnbull
    Great start! I think in general he moves into each pose too slowly. I feel like he should strike each pose with more momentum then pause for a second, then move quickly to the next. It feels a little floaty at the moment but if you tweak the timing I think it could fix a lot of the problem.

Look up some really dynamic superhero poses and don't be afraid to exaggerate and break him a little to get into those. 
  • Tengou
    Offline / Send Message
    Tengou vertex
    Awesome! Thanks @AnthonyAnimation and @_adamturnbull. You've given me a lot off feedback to go off of I appreciate it. I'll fix it up over the next week or so.
  • LluisCavalcanti
    It's a good start. Try to work more on your timing and poses, which you could take directly from comic books.
    I strongly suggest you to film yourself doing the motion, that would help a lot with the body mechanics, timing, energy and acting.