Home Marmoset

Marmo 3 Baker to Substance Painter Open GL settings?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ryebot polycounter lvl 5
I've been getting pretty great results from the Marmo 3 baker, so I wanted to use that to bake all my maps for use in substance Painter.

When I load the Map in Painter, the shading on the seams isn't correct.

But in Marmoset it looks flawless.

So far I have tried:
  • flipping each channel of the normal map and rebaking, one at a time
  • checked and unchecked tangents and binormals
The high and low-poly meshes are obj's exported from zbrush.

Baking the map in painter yields correct seams, but the quality of the bake isn't as good, so i'd prefer to find a way to use marmoset's bakes.

There's clearly a difference between the two bakes, but i'm having a hard time determining what I need to change.

Thanks for reading this!

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    What tangent space have you got your mesh set to in Toolbag?
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    If I'm looking in the right place, I have both set to Marmoset.

My other options are: 

Mikk / xNormal
    Maya
    3DS Max
    Unity (Old)

The tooltip made this setting sound like it was only setting up how the normals were to be displayed for the marmo viewer, but I'm not sure if I understand it's purpose very well.
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man, haha.

So this is the second thread today where I solved the problem on my own. I guess that's a good sign??

I took the low-poly OBJ into Maya and exported it as an fbx with tangents and binormals. Then I re-imported the low poly into marmo, set maya as the tangent space for the mesh and baked new normals from the high poly.

The new normals worked in substance painter. Now more bad seams!

So I guess I'll have to bring every OBJ into maya to prep for baking now? It's too bad I can't go straight from Zbrush to an OBJ.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you set the tangent space on your lowpoly mesh to XN/Mikkt that should solve any tangent space issues. Setting it on your highpoly won't have any affect.

It's important to make sure that the mesh is triangulated in the same way between Toolbag, Substance and the final target engine/renderer as well
  • Cha_MacKie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!
    I'm having the same issue here. Here are the details, I hope someone can help me with this.

I have:
    - a low poly fbx, triangulated inside Maya and exported with the "tangents and binormals" case checked.
    - a high poly imported to Maya from Zbrush and exported as fbx.

Inside Marmoset I have created a bake, imported my meshes, tick the Mikk / xNormal as Tangent Space (have also tried it with the Maya option), hit Bake. The normal map generated works correctly in Marmoset (perfectly actually), but not in Substance Painter - see attached images.

I have tried checking "Compute tangent space per fragment" in Substance's Project Settings too, nothing happens.

Any idea is welcome! Thanks.

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @Cha_MacKie looks like you need to flip your green channel. Marm exports by default as opengl.