Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hacking the Loop - UE4 scene based on art by Simon Stålenhag [WIP]

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
indigonator vertex
Hi Polycounters!

I'm currently working on pieces for my portfolio as a school assignment, in preperation of applying for internships, and want to show what I'm working on. I originally wanted to create a smaller interior scene, sort of retro style. As I was gathering reference i stumbled over Simon Stålenhags amazing Hacking the Loop artwork, and thought I might as well base the scene on this!

(Simon Stålenhag was kind enough to let me base this school-project on his work, check out his amazing art at http://www.simonstalenhag.se/ !)

So this is where I'm at at the moment: 

(Note, the robot's arms is going to be copied over later, and the cables after that. I decided not to add the person working on the robot, but focus on the environment.)

This is lowpoly-models in UE4 with test-lighting. The goal is not to make a pixel-perfect version of the painting, but to make a 3d version of the scene, so I'm ok with small tweaks, but the layout, feel and assets should be the same. Kind of early still, but I want to get some feedback. Getting the lowpolys right sure has been tricky, some stuff has to be very specific to match, and some parts I have to imagine how it should look, like some of the Robots arms. So most of the time has been building and rebuilding the pieces, great practice! :P

(Quick render of all the assets from Maya.)

Next step is finishing the highpolys and baking Normals and AO for details, and then adding some more textures and colors to the mix. The robot for example is going to get most of it's details from the highpoly, so I'm looking forward to adding it (and I'll keep update this thread as I go of course!)

I would love some more feedback and critique! :) 

Cheers! 

Replies

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice start! And a really cool concept to work from!
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like a great start to a fun project! :)
  • indigonator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indigonator vertex
    @RustySpannerz @Daf57 Thanks guys! :) 

Some more updates from today, tried to get some textures in top the scene, and tweaked the lighting a bit. 
  • indigonator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indigonator vertex

Alright,  textures! Did a round of textures for the whole scene (except some of the posters, and the floppy disks), and it's finally starting to look like something! 

My next goal is to finish up all the smaller pieces and details (additional cables, posters, add the missing arms to the robot, graphics on the monitor...), work with the lights some more, and then polish and tweak the textures. 

Would love to hear your feedback so far!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I've been seeing a lot of Simon's work popping up from various game artists lately and I love it. His subjects and color palettes have always been really pleasing to look at it. 

One big thing that it kind of standing out to me right now is the composition. I'm assuming you won't be adding in the character, which in the concept plays a really big part in keeping our eyes around the computer area. Since we no longer have a large dark figure on the right side, the bed area feels kind of empty and detracts from the composition. I'd consider cropping it or maybe introducing something darker on that side. Possibly reducing the light hitting the bed so under the table and on the right side of the screen is darker, and maybe increasing the size of that poster? Not sure, just a thought. 

Looking forward to seeing more! This looks like a fun concept to work from

• indigonator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indigonator vertex
    @leluxart Thanks for the feedback! :) Yeah, I'm not adding the character to the scene, so I have to make it still look abit more interesting since I don't want to crop it. 
  • indigonator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indigonator vertex

Spent some time today updating the textures and tweaking the lighting. Also added more arms and cables to the scene, getting there!
  • indigonator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indigonator vertex

Phew, Finished! :D

For now at least, still open for critiques and feedback! :) 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think you should use a LUT to match the color grading of the concept. From the concept, it doesn't look like the robot is purple, that's just light from the monitor.