Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tilda Swinton Likeness Study WIP

Doubleoeight
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Doubleoeight polycounter lvl 3
Hello! I'm working on a likeness study of actress Tilda Swinton as Gabriel in "Constantine." I've included one of my reference images for comparison. This is my first time sculpting a face and any critiques are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• JLeeD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
    Hello! This is off to a really strong start! I have a few pointers, mainly generic things. The first thing is probably more of my personal preference, but try to present your sculpts with a blinn shader or something similar. This is mainly because a lot of shaders can hide a lot of the detail without you realising it. I learnt this lesson the hard way, I had a pretty badass sculpt and someone told me to switch to blinn and I learnt my sculpt was lumpy as all hell. It can be a bit demoralising X3 I would also get rid of the hair for now, so people can see the shape of the skull.
    Secondly, try to sculpt your likeness as expression neutral as possible, and stick to the big shapes first. You've probably seen it, but I thought I'd include a video to how Hossein Diba approaches likenesses,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnVROI8SF9Y Stick to the base forms as long as possible :) The reason I say this is that you haven't quite got the forms of the brow correct but you're adding the crows feet. Skin wrinkles aren't something that affects the forms of the face, so they should be held off to the very end. I've included this reference to explain what I mean about the brow

Our eyebrows are a large part of our expressions, they have a slight bit more volume than the muscles across our forehead. Sculpts like this are really good at showing that the forehead has a lot more form to it that you might think

Hope that helps!
  • Doubleoeight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doubleoeight polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you for the information! I will definitely take these things into account and post again once I've improved things.