Home General Discussion

What is up with those brutal challenges at Artstation?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
http://magazine.artstation.com/2017/02/challenge-ancient-civilizations/

I haven't looked into other categories but

4 weeks to concept 10 high quality characters

Then 4 weeks to model either a high quality game res model or cinematic model after one of these concepts.

Is it just me or is it little bit too much? I love the idea and the theme, but even if I try really hard I can put maybe 120 hours into this considering I will work on it every day, which is the same as having second job.

On top of all that no prizes, and they entirely blocked all possible feedback - no forums, no discussion, only tech support email. 

What.

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    does not sound like a challenge but rather a raw deal. >:)

what's the completion rate with these anyway. full cinematic model - even if they wave bundles of money in my face i still struggle with motivation to complete this kind of stuff in the month or two that is usually required.
    challenges should be fun, not some gruelling milestone you have to meet.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    They just increased the 3d deadlines to 8 weeks.  And there should be feedback.  I am hosting the gameart character portion and our main duty is to provide feedback on entries.  I don't think there is a forum but you should be able to leave comments on anyone's entry.  If you're concerned about prizes and whatnot, you can totally email the artstation guys.  They are very receptive.  The deadline was increased to 8 weeks as many people felt it was too tight as well.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    well that's great then!
    /thread
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Yeah what Slosh said, we were concerned that it was too little for environment art as well so we have the same 8 week deadline now.  Although I think the character art deadline was a little scarier than environment.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    But they're keeping 10 character concepts + back views at 4 weeks?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Afaik all of the 2d concept challenges are staying at 4 weeks but like Slosh said, feel free to reach out to ArtStation if you're unhappy about that :)
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I'm pretty sure my amount of F5 on the submission thread is enough to be consider DDOS. I can't wait for the 3D part to be open, really glad they add an extension to it :) !
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Seems fine to me, pretty normal requests if you were working professionally. Working to these challenges full time, if you are currently without a job, would demonstrate your ability to do so and frankly help land you a job if you're ready. Step up to the challenge, its not an unreasonable one.

The argument could then be made that they should cater to those that aren't yet professionals out of inclusivity, but I think that's a load of bollocks - do that in communities like this where we learn together and its not about what are effectively portfolios (artstation is a portfolio site really)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    From what I can tell the competition is split into 2 phases and if you join you only need to do 1 or the other (you can do both phases though)

The 4 week concept phase which is mostly targeted at concept artists.

Then the 8 week production phase which is mostly targeted at production artists.

First the concept phase starts and after the 4 weeks they choose the best/winners from that. For the production phase you can do your own concept art work OR you can use any of the concepts submitted durring the concept art phase. (By entering the concept art phase concept artists have to be cool with this and production artists have to give due credit).

This is great for the many production artists who are not concept artists and really lack that skill. So while you could do both you could also wait for one of your fav concept artists to turn out some gold and base your production entry off that! Really like that idea :)