Home Technical Talk

AMD ryzen- worth for CGI stuff?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hello there, so AMD ryzen is comming (new CPU from AMD for a good price).
The tests are still not out, but i wanted to ask, will it (most likely) be worth it for CGI stuff in general? Like 3ds max, Vray rendering, GPU rendering, other uses, video stuff etc.?

Most tests in mainstream HW media wont cover these test most likely, so i guess i want to ask- IF the general results for the CPU from the tests are good, better or comparable to Intel CPUs, the AMD ryzen can be safely used also for CGI graphic stuff, right?

Like for example AMD ryzen wont miss and features (like instruction sets in cpu) that would provide them "good" score in general (like games) but BAD performance in graphic stuff?

Correct?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Generally CPU tests don't vary too much besides if it testing single core, multi core, or multi threaded performance. You can always wait for Cinebench benchmarks which is a CPU render test. 

They seem like a great option if you are looking for the best bang for your buck, but still the very top end Intel processors are faster, but at a big premium. We'll see how quickly Intel responds. No reason to rush building a new PC until there's more information and Intel has a chance to react.  
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    At some point they did demonstrations with ZBrush and Keyshot, I haven't found any specific details besides someone saying "a game dev noted that another developer was using Ryzen with 25 million polygons at the event". So they might well be looking at non game uses, In any case the 8 core chips should be quite good at traditional CPU rendering tasks for a hell of a lot less.