Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steve Harlow's Machine Shop/Sketchbook

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SteveHarlow polycounter lvl 7
Howdy. This is my little thread for putting stuff i do that doesn't deserve it's own thread.

Typically I just do machinery. Cars, guns, locomotives, monster trucks, basic props, whatever. If it took more than a kilowatt of power to manufacture, i'm down.

Current spare time project is a steam car i intend to build called the Wyvern. And i'm currently working on the valve gear/assembly for the engine.

The engine is a 4 cylinder compound engine. With two high pressure cylinders and two low pressure cylinders that use the exhaust steam from the high pressure cylinders. The dimensions of the engine block are subservient to the shape of the head casting, which is why it's the first "finished" part i've done. And it's turned out rather large, which is to do with the valves. Rather than have four distinct patterns of valves and all the complexity/expense associated with that, i just calculated the largest valve sized required for a given power output and made that the standard, using cutoff to "emulate" flow of the would be smaller valves

I'll post other traditional 3d stuff here as it happens. I wanna do a Bergman pistol or the Time Fly's monster truck next. But i'll probably keep updating the Wyvern as i hammer away at it