[ONG] Offroad Racer - Indie Game Dev Log

Replies

• orontes
    Offline / Send Message
    orontes triangle
    The current precision is not 100% perfect but very very high. Nothing to even slightly worry about and with the wheel using the helper position it is completely unnoticeable. Even when you zoom in all the way. To answer your question, the FBX export format does not nearly support all this nifty stuff my brother used in 3ds max. Even if it would, you would not gain much or anything.

This is because of the math involved. Whenever you do IK or invert a function in a non analytical (non closed-form) way like i did in the engine or max does for IK, you only have an approximation. This is true in 3ds max as well. Even "look at" is not 100% perfect all the time and more complex inverse stuff only gets worse. This is a fundamental issue. This part of mathematics is called "numerical analysis" and it is used for nearly everything in the engine that is not straight forward. Even relatively simple stuff like the inverse of a 4th order polynomial does not have a closed-form and thereby perfect solution (This is unrelated to numerical calculus precision which is yet another problem).
  • Ckafee
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckafee vertex
    orontes said:
    The current precision is not 100% perfect but very very high. Nothing to even slightly worry about and with the wheel using the helper position it is completely unnoticeable. Even when you zoom in all the way. To answer your question, the FBX export format does not nearly support all this nifty stuff my brother used in 3ds max. Even if it would, you would not gain much or anything.

This is because of the math involved. Whenever you do IK or invert a function in a non analytical (non closed-form) way like i did in the engine or max does for IK, you only have an approximation. This is true in 3ds max as well. Even "look at" is not 100% perfect all the time and more complex inverse stuff only gets worse. This is a fundamental issue. This part of mathematics is called "numerical analysis" and it is used for nearly everything in the engine that is not straight forward. Even relatively simple stuff like the inverse of a 4th order polynomial does not have a closed-form and thereby perfect solution (This is unrelated to numerical calculus precision which is yet another problem).
    Allright i see. so rescripting the Solvers and the lookats are not worth the afford. Oke learned something today again:D thanks!

• defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger polycounter lvl 2
    Hi polycount,

Long time no see. But we have been very busy. Here is some cool new stuff we have been working on:

A Lap around the Track

• defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

we have a freelance opportunity for you!

Looking for a sound effect artist.

Check out the details here:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/186258/paid-sound-effect-artist-freelance/p1?new=1
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great. I like the water drops on the lens when the vehicle goes through the wet. Are you planning on doing a first person option? With more tracks the mountains offer limitless possibilities.

Top work man.
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Looks great. I like the water drops on the lens when the vehicle goes through the wet. Are you planning on doing a first person option?

Thanks man!

The steering wheel on the car is already turning and the cockpit is fully modeled so we will be playing around with a first person cam for sure.

I´m still planting tons of trees and grass at this point. Next thing will be some shrubs.

• Felixenfeu
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixenfeu polycounter lvl 5
    Very promising project right there ! Killer hard surface, really looking forward to see more work on this.